Sears 1230 Rescue Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
First Boat 14' Flat w/ 18hp Sold $1200
Second Boat 12'V Center Console w/ 5hp Sold $1250
Third Boat 12' Rescue Flat Sold $150
Forth Boat 15' Flat Sold $300
Fifth Boat 16' Flat Current

Sixgun: *Spots Tin atop pile of scrap metal, Runs over.
Sixgun: What ya doing with that boat?
Trucker: Goin to the scrap yard.
Sixgun: How much you want for it?
Trucker: 12pk of Beer
Sixgun: Done.

Third Boat, Sears 12' Flat bottom rescued from the scrap yard. Current Build

Step 1: Weld Cross members Done
Step 2: Grind Weld Screws/Rivets Done
Step 3: Seal / Paint Done
(SOLD $150)

Attachments

• gon2.jpg
    gon2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2,364
  • gon4.jpg
    gon4.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2,364
  • gon3.jpg
    gon3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,364
  • gon1.jpg
    gon1.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2,364
Hey Six -

looks like I have something similar to you. Mine is a Sea King 12ft that appears to have nearly the same type of build. Very few ribs that don't go up the sides. only difference with mine is that the seats dont go all the way to the floor and mine seems to be in better condition. Curious to find out how you deck the front of this boat. Would you take a lot of pictures during the process so I can get a better idea of how I go about this?

absolutely, It should be back from the welder tomorrow. My second build, Grumman 12v will be getting a deck as well. The 1st boat has pictures of the last one I built, unfortunately I didn't take any during.

sixgun86 said:
absolutely, It should be back from the welder tomorrow. My second build, Grumman 12v will be getting a deck as well. The 1st boat has pictures of the last one I built, unfortunately I didn't take any during.

Are you doing anything with this boat to reinforce hull strength/increase weight limit? I'm convinced this can be done!!

haolehawaiian said:
Are you doing anything with this boat to reinforce hull strength/increase weight limit? I'm convinced this can be done!!

No, unfortunately I'll be rushing through this build. Got it back from the welder. Turned out very sloppy and still leaked. Should have had him just fix the braces and glassed the bottom. It has killed the quality of the boat so I'm not going to invest much elbow grease in this one.

I've sealed and half *** painted the boat in about an hour. Turned out real ugly, but I won't feel bad scratching,denting, or beaching it later on. Will add more exterior paint later down road, only had some rattle cans and wind was pretty strong.

Next up, Test it in the water. Replace transom, then begin work on swapping power heads.

Attachments

• b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,935
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,935
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,935
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,935
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,935
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,935
381628_silo.jpg

lol. It's a shot in the dark but I needed something THICK and didn't want to pay much. $13gal

I used this on my other boat that leaked just a little, Works great, Good hold. $26gal

143337_ts.jpg

Gluv-it and Steel Flex cost too much, and/or cannot find local.

Latest posts