1977 14' MonArk 1448 - Deck, Paint, Much More...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, new to tinboats... but have been reading the boat forums ever since I had a passion for boating... just never owned one, then came across a great deal on 2... a 1977 14' MonArk 1448 ( I believe as it is 14' long, 48" wide at floorline, semi-v), and a 1976 12' Smokercraft (Rebranded By Monkey Ward Sea King, I still consider it a smoker cause the HIN starts with SMK =D> ). In this post I will be building a deck out of 2x4(non-pressure treated) and a 2x6(non-pressure treated) center board, with marine ply shims to level the 2x4's with the 2x6, a raised front casting deck and storage compartments( as it is basically a aluminum tub with a center seat right now,). The previous owners removed the front and rear seat(definately not the correct way) and as me and my buddies like to laugh about, it looks like it has been whitewater rafting a time or a hundred as the bottom definately has some dents/dings/repairs telling years of character/misuse/neglect. Thank god it ended up with me, who will do my best to revive this beast and show it another 20(maybe...) years of service...
the gunwhales are bent beyond repair...so i believe i am going to remove them and do my best to straighten with a bent piece of electrical conduit, with something to hold the metals apart but still secure. As I got the boats/trailers for next to nothing, they are water tight, a few minor leaks, and i have rowed each one out a handful of times to test...not looking for anything fancy, just figured id share my modifications/restorations with the community. I will create a separate post about the 1976 12' Smokercraft mods... any replies, comments, input is great

I regularly fish the Albemarle, Currituck, and Roanoke Sounds, as well as beach fish or beach launch and troll a couple hundred yards offshore in the Atlantic (2 minutes to a canal to the sounds, and 3 blocks to the beach from where I live).
here is the pic of when i got her.
14-before.jpg..a real beauty ain't she.

Trailer has been painted since then, and i purchased another trailer that i have painted also... more pics to come!

More Pics...

20120205124241.jpg

Started The Casting Deck, And Front Seat Platform... I Will Scan My Prints To Show My Master Plan...
Note: All This Is Temporary For Use ONLY THIS SEASON, After This Season I Will Be Redoing It With Better Ties And Pre-Epoxy Resin Glossed Marine Ply...This Is Just Basically For My Plan So I Know How To Rebuild It Next Season, As I Have More Time Then!

20120205124256.jpg

20120205124708.jpg

20120205124716.jpg

20120205124514.jpg

And The POWERHOUSE...lol!
20120205124737.jpg

Thanks Bearwood, I definately do... Got the front casting deck installed and front fishing area decked...(not the best but getting a complete overhaul after this fishing season, new everything pre-coated)

heres the pics....
20120206163351.jpg

started framing for the rear deck...20120206163325.jpg

ill keep updating as i progress!

THEABEXPERTS said:
Love the 6hp rude! You can get into some tight places with that setup.

Yeap I Love It Too.... Got It With The Whole Boat Package...New Fuel lines and pump...good sea foam run, soon to be a carb clean and a lower unit oil change...runs like a dream though!