101lb thrust on a 12ft jonny.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it would damage the motor. Simple electrical formula: volts x amps = watts. Electric motors are a certain wattage, and that never changes, so it can't be a variable in the equation. If you lower the voltage, you thereby raise the amperage(also known as current). The higher the current, the hotter your equipment and wiring will get, esp. over an extended run time. The is would likely kill the motor within 15 minutes or less. As was mentioned before, downsize the batteries to smaller sizes. This will reduce the overall weight. Assuming you will only run at 50% OR LESS for the majority of your run time, you should be fine. But a nice 45# to 55# thrust 12 volt motor would do you just fine. I actually have 2 30# 12-volt motors on my 12' v-hull boat(1 on front and 1 on back). I have one BIG battery and only run one motor at a time, unless I need to cover a short distance at high-speed. Even selling the 101# motor used, you should be able to get half of retail, assuming it's in good shape. Then, when it's time to change batteries, you only buy one instead of three. That's a huge savings right there.

DrNip said:
My 1248 has a 55 on it and when turned up to 10 it scoots along pretty dang fast. Can't imagine needing anything over a 12 v on a 12' Jon. Not worth the extra weight.

I have the same on my 1448, it is fine. In fact sometimes I wish the thing would move a little slower when I am trying to work a shoreline.