12' 1969 Monark - Complete Overhaul/Upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcupo6

Reaction score
I’m ready to take on a major mod project for my 12’ tinny. Mainly I fishing alone on electric only lakes, but I want the option of taking out fishing buddy and strapping on the gas motor to hit the local rivers. This boat was fished pretty successfully all season, now I want to make it better. Storage is currently an issue. Throughout the fishing day gear gets through about the deck and becomes an absolute mess. I want to organize things, and create to optional fishing decks that I can stand and fish from.

Enough talk. Here’s the plan of attack.
1. Gluvit the entire bottom.
2. Replace Transom
3. Run electric through PVC tubing (eventually I’d like to add a bow mounted trolling motor)
4. Paint inside of hull
5. Paint outside of hull
6. Carpet all decks
7. Replace seats
8. Add built in cooler
9. Add 4 medium storage bins and one large bin
10. Add 4 storage nets
11. Add 2 built in tackle bins with 4 plano boxes each
12. New 6 gallon fuel tank
13. Add a bow anchor locker

That’s a ton of “stuff” for a 12’ boat, but I think I can make it work. Here’s a rough drawing I made. It’s close to the scale (far from exact), I just don’t know if everything is feasible. This weekend I plan to make cardboard replica of this plan. I’ll post those pics too.

-The dark grey is the low deck, only a couple inches from the bottom of the boat.
-The light grey are the raised casting decks with built in storage. These will be about 1-2 inches below the gunwale

Here is the boat

Hey jcupo6; Welcome: Pretty ambitious project, but not total out of the question. It's great that your building a cardboard model in your boat of all the compartments This will give you a real picture of the completed project and if you still have enough room to fish and maneuver around the boat. Biggest consideration I found in a 12' boat is weight; So that needs to be in your mind when your planning your build and the materials you plan to use. From what I have read and you probably have also, is these little V-hulls can be quite tippy when elevated platforms are added and get even more so as you get closer to the bow.

I have been plugging away at a 12' V for quite a while now and my next step after carpet is to position and mount my bait-well ( will be fishing mainly intracoastal waters and Live shrimp is a staple. ) and add some storage in bow for anchor ( this is also where I will most likely will position battery to help when I am alone ), and storage for lifejackets and what-not. Now, when I bought my boat it came with an old 15 hp 2cycle motor that weights about 57 lbs. I plan on buying a new 4 strke, but the 9.8 wts 88 lbs and would have to go down to a 6hp to equal the wt of my 15 hp. When complete I plan on taking to the local lake with the 15 on it and some free wts in back to equal 100lb to see if the boat can handle that and my 250 lbs otherwise it a 6hp for me ( which is OK, but I really wanted an electric start ) I also have a little 12volt 30lb thrust TM that I would love to keep mounted on the bow, but Not sure if that's feasible; Pretty sure it wouldn't be with 2 people in the boat.

Looks like you have a solid boat to start with, so good luck.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338816#p338816 said:
simbelle » 16 Jan 2014, 12:58[/url]"]Hey jcupo6; Welcome: Pretty ambitious project, but not total out of the question. It's great that your building a cardboard model in your boat of all the compartments This will give you a real picture of the completed project and if you still have enough room to fish and maneuver around the boat. Biggest consideration I found in a 12' boat is weight; So that needs to be in your mind when your planning your build and the materials you plan to use. From what I have read and you probably have also, is these little V-hulls can be quite tippy when elevated platforms are added and get even more so as you get closer to the bow.

I have been plugging away at a 12' V for quite a while now and my next step after carpet is to position and mount my bait-well ( will be fishing mainly intracoastal waters and Live shrimp is a staple. ) and add some storage in bow for anchor ( this is also where I will most likely will position battery to help when I am alone ), and storage for lifejackets and what-not. Now, when I bought my boat it came with an old 15 hp 2cycle motor that weights about 57 lbs. I plan on buying a new 4 strke, but the 9.8 wts 88 lbs and would have to go down to a 6hp to equal the wt of my 15 hp. When complete I plan on taking to the local lake with the 15 on it and some free wts in back to equal 100lb to see if the boat can handle that and my 250 lbs otherwise it a 6hp for me ( which is OK, but I really wanted an electric start ) I also have a little 12volt 30lb thrust TM that I would love to keep mounted on the bow, but Not sure if that's feasible; Pretty sure it wouldn't be with 2 people in the boat.

Looks like you have a solid boat to start with, so good luck.

Thanks, yeah weight is a concern. I'm gonna do my best to keep everything as light as possible. My gas motor is an old 7.5hp Merc which I leave off the boat (I take out the gas tank too) unless I'm using it. As far as stability, when alone I can stand on the benches and cast with no problems. I've never tried with two people but think it will be a bit scary. I took that into account when designing the floor plan. The two swivel seats will be flush mounted to a box I'll build. The seats should be right around the height they are currently. Maybe an inch higher. This when when there are two guys fishing we can use the seats and be much lower. When I by myself I can use the casting decks when I feel like standing.

It's hard to see from the drawing, but I'm going to place the batteries front to back, not side by side. I'm trying to keep as much weight dead center (batteries, cooler, fuel tank(when in use)) as possible. I'm sure a lot will change, but this would be my ideal setup.

The only thing I would omit, if it were me, is the cooler. A free standing cooler can be filled and emptied outside the boat and if your using it as a live well it can also be removed to take to cleaning station. There are many options available to secure the cooler during operation and it also gives you freedom to move it to another part of boat when necessity calls for; It also allows you to choose the size of the cooler you plan to bring with you or no cooler at all; but you know your habits better than I, so there is no wrong way to configure.

What model / serial is your monark. I can not find any information on mine other than it is a 1974. Mine looks alot like yours.

Welcome aboard! Good suggestions above, especially regarding weight. I suspect you will be stern-heavy and slow with the setup you diagrammed. You might consider a 3 gal tank and /or moving batteries forward. IMHO a 12 footer is a pretty small canvas and I was better off with one or two objectives rather than trying to make it do everything a 16 will do. I guarantee you will have fun regardless.
Rick

I started laying everything out with cardboard and didn't really like how everything looked. The boat was way too cramped. I changed my original plan. I really like this current setup.

I've fished with on this boat with my nephew and I was able to stand on the bench and fish. Never tried two people standing on the bench, but I think this setup will be fine as long as one guy is sitting, fishing on the low chair.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338982#p338982 said:
rickybobbybend » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:12 pm[/url]"]Welcome aboard! Good suggestions above, especially regarding weight. I suspect you will be stern-heavy and slow with the setup you diagrammed. You might consider a 3 gal tank and /or moving batteries forward. IMHO a 12 footer is a pretty small canvas and I was better off with one or two objectives rather than trying to make it do everything a 16 will do. I guarantee you will have fun regardless.
Rick

I'll be using the lightest material as possible to keep as much weight down as I can. I agree, the original plan would have been stern heavy, but I think the new plan evens everything out. And yeah, I'll probably go to a 3 gallon tank and may move the batteries more forward.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338834#p338834 said:
Kier » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:54 pm[/url]"]What model / serial is your monark. I can not find any information on mine other than it is a 1974. Mine looks alot like yours.

Not sure of the serial number, I'll try to get it for you tomorrow. Yeah, they are similar, but mine is older. There are subtle differences, like the locations of the riveted stringers.

Latest posts