12ft Alumacraft Model E Car topper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Roberts

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Lake Okeechobee/Everglades region of Florida
Came across this 12 ft Alumacraft model E made in 1950. This old boat was languishing at a Boy's Ranch in rural Wisconsin and I was able to buy it for a "donation" of $240.00. Loaded it up and brought it back to Florida where I am currently re storing it. The transom wood was pretty rough and the rear transom wood motor mount was rotted out. I am refurbishing the wood on the inside and fashioning a new piece of white oak for the rear outside. Going to pressure clean, etch and wire brush the hull in and out and spray it with green zinc chromate primer and then we shall have a great little antique classic Alumacraft fishing boat complete with oar locks and a set of oars for back up propulsion.

Attachments

• IMG_1547 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_1547 - Edited.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1548 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_1548 - Edited.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 6
Nice find...
Thank you. Always poke around in weed piles...............never know as there may be an old Alumacraft hidden in that clump! :))). This Alumacraft number 4 in my "boat collection"........adding it to another 12 footer(1952), a 14ft (1955) and a 16ft Yukon model mfg 1968. I guess I am nutty..........?!! :))

Came across this 12 ft Alumacraft model E made in 1950. This old boat was languishing at a Boy's Ranch in rural Wisconsin and I was able to buy it for a "donation" of $240.00. Loaded it up and brought it back to Florida where I am currently re storing it. The transom wood was pretty rough and the rear transom wood motor mount was rotted out. I am refurbishing the wood on the inside and fashioning a new piece of white oak for the rear outside. Going to pressure clean, etch and wire brush the hull in and out and spray it with green zinc chromate primer and then we shall have a great little antique classic Alumacraft fishing boat complete with oar locks and a set of oars for back up propulsion.
Hi, I am a long-time boater, but a first time aluminum boat buyer. I have the opportunity to purchase this 1955 12' Alumnacaft Model E. Will go to do a close-up inspection, but the pics look good. What should I be looking for? Any help is appreciated! Thanks very much, Gary01

1697367441480.png1697367404564.png
1697367513946.png1697367592920.png1697367646751.png

Hi, I am a long-time boater, but a first time aluminum boat buyer. I have the opportunity to purchase this 1955 12' Alumnacaft Model E. Will go to do a close-up inspection, but the pics look good. What should I be looking for? Any help is appreciated! Thanks very much, Gary01

View attachment 117436View attachment 117435
View attachment 117437View attachment 117438View attachment 117439
Hello my friend..............

From what I can see here it seems to be well cared for. These year models are very rugged boats and it pretty straight fwd as to inspection for dents or damage..........small dents are no issue.............I don't know looks like a really clean boat. They run great with a 7.5/8 hp outboard. Do ask if they have the 2 oars for the boat.............the original style decals for the boat are available on eBay if you want to dress it up some.

Hello my friend..............

From what I can see here it seems to be well cared for. These year models are very rugged boats and it pretty straight fwd as to inspection for dents or damage..........small dents are no issue.............I don't know looks like a really clean boat. They run great with a 7.5/8 hp outboard. Do ask if they have the 2 oars for the boat.............the original style decals for the boat are available on eBay if you want to dress it up some.
Thanks for the reply. Turns out there could be title problems. So I am in waiting mode. I hope the seller can sort that out. I am in IL and title's are a must. Found another that looks equally good in pics, but is also recently painted. Owner is open to putting water in the boat to test for leaks. I really like those old boats!

Thanks for the reply. Turns out there could be title problems. So I am in waiting mode. I hope the seller can sort that out. I am in IL and title's are a must. Found another that looks equally good in pics, but is also recently painted. Owner is open to putting water in the boat to test for leaks. I really like those old boats!
Hmmmmmmmm. I take it in your state you cant't do the old..........it's 70 year old boat with a lost title and go with a bill of sale from the current owner. The hull registration should show who it is registered to and thus get a copy of the title from the state. The one in my photos had no title also but I managed to squeak through with a bill of sale and a notorized statement from the owner that the title was "lost" years before. But if # 2 looks good maybe that's the one?! I paint mine also with green zinc chromate to give the boat a marsh green color. The boat in my profile photo is a painted 1952 model e.

Hmmmmmmmm. I take it in your state you cant't do the old..........it's 70 year old boat with a lost title and go with a bill of sale from the current owner. The hull registration should show who it is registered to and thus get a copy of the title from the state. The one in my photos had no title also but I managed to squeak through with a bill of sale and a notorized statement from the owner that the title was "lost" years before. But if # 2 looks good maybe that's the one?! I paint mine also with green zinc chromate to give the boat a marsh green color. The boat in my profile photo is a painted 1952 model e.
It could be that IL has some provision for boats that old. The owner has submitted paper work and may come up with a title, just does not have it yet. I would love to have that boat. Also, thanks for the decal tip. Those are a must have if I snag an old Alumacraft.

Yes sir...............welcome to the old Alumacraft club.............maybe you will lose all common sense like I did and own 4 of them like me! :))

OK here is an update on the restoration of my 1950 year model E Alumacraft. The intense heat and rain has finally let up here in southern Florida so finally after a long delay I finally got the boat prepped ( pressure cleaned inside and out, rough sanded with 220 grit paper, wire brushing and a final pressure cleaning) and set to paint. Was able to spray paint it today in nice clear weather. Also, stopped at a boat trailer manufacturer last Friday and ordered a new galvanized keel roller trailer for the boat which set me back $1,200. Should get it in appx 1 month or so. Galvanized, trailer tongue jack, buddy bearings and poly rollers. Once i get the boat on the trailer will re-install the transom wood, add the reproduction Alumacraft decals to the rear sides and the registration numbers. Only thing left then will be to shop for a good outboard motor for it. Then...........well time to catch some fish!!

Attachments

• IMG_1694.edit1.jpg
    IMG_1694.edit1.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1700.edit1.jpg
    IMG_1700.edit1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1696.edit1_2.jpg
    IMG_1696.edit1_2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
Beautiful! I finally managed to purchase a boat. It is a 12' Wards 1976 model. I purchased some paint for it (Aluma Hawk) in a very light tan and a blue. I am building a deck that will go over the center and front seat of the boat to create some storage. Doubting it will work well as a casting deck, but we will see. I also managed to find a very nice 1952-54 Evinrude Light Twin 3 hp ready for the water. Sure am looking forward to spring. In the meantime, I hope to make some homemade lures.

Beautiful! I finally managed to purchase a boat. It is a 12' Wards 1976 model. I purchased some paint for it (Aluma Hawk) in a very light tan and a blue. I am building a deck that will go over the center and front seat of the boat to create some storage. Doubting it will work well as a casting deck, but we will see. I also managed to find a very nice 1952-54 Evinrude Light Twin 3 hp ready for the water. Sure am looking forward to spring. In the meantime, I hope to make some homemade lures.
Excellent! Once you get going on the refab of the boat send along some photos of your progress!!