14' Polarcraft double wide

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman335

Reaction score
Hello to all! Picked up a deal a couple months back. Its a 80's model Polarcraft double wide 14' jon. Its 54'' wide at the base! Widest 14' i've ever seen. Anyways, got the boat, trailer, and a running 25 h.p. johnson all for $600!

I found this site after I started working on it but here is a rundown of whets been done and what is to come.
First of all the entire transom was shot. The boat had been in salt water for years and you could literally poke your finger through the aluminum. I tore it completely down rotted wood included, and started over. (Sorry no pics of that).

I managed to find a nice sheet of aluminum for $60, bought a sheet of 3/4 Plywood, cut it all to fit, and had it welded back. Now it’s good as new!

I took the 2 float boxes and foam off each side and had the rivet holes welded back up.

The front end was dented in pretty bad where someone had driven the boat into the winch while loading it. I took the extra aluminum I had left from the transom and had a new front end welded on as well.

Since then I’ve been sanding away. Using a grinder with a 4'' wire brush attachment. (works great) I’m almost finished with sanding. Then I’m going to check for leaks and prepare to paint.

My plans are to lengthen the front deck a little for a casting deck and trolling motor, and leave an open floor plan. I’m still debating on what route to go with the flooring. Please feel free to chime in with ideas or criticism from experience at anytime! Now heres the pics!!
View attachment 2

Attachments

• DSC09999.JPG
    DSC09999.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 3,585
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 3,585
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 3,585
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 3,585
Interesting ribs,looks plenty sturdy.
Almost looks like you took a modV and cut the nose off.
Was the transom the only thin spot on the boat?
Nice boat and great deal.

Zum said:
Interesting ribs,looks plenty sturdy.
Almost looks like you took a modV and cut the nose off.
Was the transom the only thin spot on the boat?
Nice boat and great deal.
Isn't that bow design called a coast guard bow?

The boat building gods have shinned down on me once more! I had completely given up on finding a sheet of aluminum to use for flooring. $150 -$175 was the prices I was getting. Then I would have to pay for someone to cut it. My plan was to come home yesterday and start cutting the plywood and prepare to start treating it. As luck would have it I mentioned my dilemma to a friend and he said he had a couple of old signs that may work. Sure enough they were just what I needed. Took them down the road and had a guy cut them for me. He charged me 10 bucks! Can’t believe it! Now I’m planning on getting some 1 1/2 angle to level out the floor and Ill be ready to install and then paint! I ordered a gallon of Duralux Marine aluminum boat paint today. Anyone ever use it? I have read a lot of good things about it.
One question though. I see a lot of guys using rivets to connect the angle and floors. Is there a certain type I need to use? Wouldn’t self tapping screws be better? Please educate me on the rivets.
Thanks

Progress is slow but im getting a few things done. Had to break down and buy a 25 ft rod of 1 inch alluminum angle. My gosh is that stuff high! $42 bucks. Using that to level out the floor. I went to home depot the other day looking at foam. I saw in a post somewhere about closed cell foam. I saw some water resistant 4x8 boards that was 2 inches thick but it was like 30 Bucks. any chaper sugestions or is this what I need. Also did a leak check and sealed a few rivets going to get her painted hopefully next week. I'll post some updated pics soon!

Well Painting has still not happened. Ive been waiting on a guy that said he would do it for me, but im about tired of being put off. It cant be that hard. Can it? I just got a call from Lowes Hardware saying my marine carpet is in. I have all my wood cut and preped, ready for the carpet! Just thought Id update with a few pics of the completed floor and transom. Will post more as soon as Its painted.IMG_1296.jpgIMG_1294.jpgIMG_1300.jpg

Sort of been slacking on updates on the progress of the boat build but everything is realy coming into place. Took it to the local lhigh school and had them paint it. Turned out good. Not great but hey it only costed me matierials. While it was getting painted I got the trailer fixed up. Finaly got all the carpet placed and got all the decks attached. I was able to use a piece of scrap sign to make a trolling motor mount. Still have to paint my motor and attach it and run all my wireing for lights, bilge and fish finder. Just got a nice switchbox off ebay the other day. A few rod holders and she will be ready for the water!! Heres a few updated pics.trailer.JPGtrailer 2.JPGBoat1.JPGboat2.JPGboat3.JPGboat4.JPGboat5.JPG

I know this post is pretty old but it's worth a shot. I bought the same exact boat about a year ago but there's no capacity plate on it. Any chance you can help me out with the info from yours? Thank you very much!

Latest posts