1456 landau mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLminnow

Reaction score
Well here we go...
I'm totally new to this forum. I just bought my first 14 ft Jon boat ever. I found it on c/l and got it cheap. It is in great shape with no leaks at all. I got the 15 HP motor on a trade and the trailer I got for free. The boat is going to be used in salt water as well as fresh. I need it to catch reds in mosquito lagoon and hangovers on FL lakes and rivers :) . The wife demands some comfort within reason, and are dog has to approve as well. So I have an outstanding set of demands and no idea where to begin. I'm no boat rookie but this is the first Jon boat I've ever tried to mod. So, I hope you guys can help... I have seen some sweet rides and conversions. I'm very excited at the potential of the boat. Right now at wot it runs 22 mph with two adults, 40 lb dog, gas, and cooler of beer.
So, my first question is paint. I ordered steel flex (original) with tan color today. That's going on to protect the bottom up to the water line. What I really need to know is how and with what to paint interior and remaining exterior not covered by steel flex. I will post pics of the boat as is ASAP.

picsay-1306359003.jpg

picsay-1306359207.jpg

picsay-1306359232.jpg

picsay-1306359266.jpg

In the top picture you can see the latest cash saver... The homemade stick it anchor. Rebuilt carb, fuel pump and water pump on motor. Also added new plugs. Compression was 90lb on both cylinders. Runs like new. Starts on second pull. New gas line and plastic tank too. Trailer needs some tlc like new lights and wiring. Bought wood for new bunks but need the carpet and hardware.

Nice rig! Can't help with your paint questions, but are those on water pics on Dupont? Looks real familiar to me.

Mike P said:
Nice rig! Can't help with your paint questions, but are those on water pics on Dupont? Looks real familiar to me.
Lake conway south Orlando.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Does the transom rest on the bunks?

No. It's bout 6 inches shy. I'm about to fix that within the next 7 days when I take the boat off to paint it. I have new wood but just need some carpet for bunks and some galvanized hardware.

A small bit of advice from experience. Extend your bunks back past your transom about 2'. It will help ya launch and retrieve from shallow ramps like Beacon 42 and the dirt ramp at Spruce creek. And don't use pressure treated lumber for your bunks. The copper will soak through the carpet and slowly eat your hull. Or if ya do use the teflon slicks or pvc to separate your hull from the carpet and copper.

Mike P said:
A small bit of advice from experience. Extend your bunks back past your transom about 2'. It will help ya launch and retrieve from shallow ramps like Beacon 42 and the dirt ramp at Spruce creek. And don't use pressure treated lumber for your bunks. The copper will soak through the carpet and slowly eat your hull. Or if ya do use the teflon slicks or pvc to separate your hull from the carpet and copper.

2 feet or 2 inches? I want to make sure before I do the bunks. yes I hate those ramps especially 42. there is no good way to back down there. i was not aware of that pressure treat situation thx thats what i had bought. hope they take it back.

Steel flex has arrived. Now, anyone have any advice on sand paper grit for the job? I will be using an 8" orbital sander and a dremel multimax for the tight corners. And im assuming any acetone will do the job for clean up after sanding and blowing it off. Thanks for any ideas.

Okay so its been a while since my last update. But since the last I got a steal on 22 pathfinder and have been fixing the little things on it that were neglected. Anyway I got some work done on the boat. New fixed jackplate, New 3 gallon gas tank, two New chairs with swivel mounts. Trailer bunks have been extended for ease of loading and unloading. Hope to do test ride tomorrow afternoon with New seats and floor job. Next is some more forward decking with non skid and paint. Also gonna flip it finally and apply the long awaited steel flex. Oh and I added the much overdue kill switch to the old outboard.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1328210942333.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328210942333.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,447
  • uploadfromtaptalk1328210968057.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328210968057.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,447
  • uploadfromtaptalk1328210993144.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328210993144.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,447
  • uploadfromtaptalk1328211047501.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328211047501.jpg