16.5’ bass boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.123

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I just purchased a 16.5’ bass boat. I believe it’s a 1970 Sea Nymph. It’s need new wood and carpeting and transom wood. I’m pretty hand but have some questions. First question is, would regular 3/4” plywood covered in Thompson’s water seal be sufficient? Also, the second picture is the rear of the boat. Can I remove say half of this foam and put use this space for storage? Or is that not a great idea? Also, how would I go about figuring the best motor option for the boat. We go to smaller lakes often but also have some bigger lakes we’d like to hit. Ideally I’m thinking a 9.9 for the smaller lakes and a 25hp for the bigger lakes? With a bow mounted trolling motor. Thanks for all the input. IMG_1425.jpegIMG_1446.jpeg

Most of what I have been told here is that 1/2 in for decking is sufficient. Much lighter. I plan to use it after I soak it with "old timers solution/sealer". Not sure on the foam, I dont see why it would be a problem, but you will be losing part of the "buoyancy" should you ever get swamped.

Congrats on the new boat. Looks pretty darn good for the age.

I agree with @Zip that 1/2" is good for the deck. I have no idea about the reg's back in 1970, but the idea of the floatation is to keep the swamped boat level. If you remove a lot of foam you could negatively impact that protection. But I can sure see how you would want to use that area for storage. I wonder if you could remove a couple inches to gain some storage and put some back behind where the blocks are without losing the safety factor?

BTW, I sure agree with @Stand Up about the 25 hp. The problem is if the smaller lakes you like to use have a 10 HP restriction.

Thank you guys for your responses. I don’t want to negatively affect the boat but it would be nice to have extra storage.

There’s 3/4” wood on there currently. So if 1/2” would suffice that would be great, cheaper and lighter.

The 25hp would be great for the bigger lakes. But I need a 9.9 or less for a couple of the smaller lakes we fish. They won’t be on the boat simultaneously just to have options.

When you get tour plywood for the decks, find 5 ply exterior grade, the 5 pkys will make it stronger and the exteruor glue will make it last. If you use 3 ply it will be weaker and much more prone to warping. More pics please !!

Thank you, airshot. Will do. I’m going to coat it all in Thompson’s water sea too.

I’ll get some more pictures soon

Most of what I have been told here is that 1/2 in for decking is sufficient. Much lighter. I plan to use it after I soak it with "old timers solution/sealer". Not sure on the foam, I dont see why it would be a problem, but you will be losing part of the "buoyancy" should you ever get swamped.
what is this "old timers secret solution" please?
Thank You

what is this "old timers secret solution" please?
Thank You
1 part spar varnish
1 part boiled linseed oil
2 parts mineral spirits

There is a process to mixing them. Some woodworkers also have a popular mix they call the 3-2-1 which uses Poly instead of the Spar varnish. There were several others "mix ratios" that guys make up for their work.
Research some of the woodworking forums for lots of info.

1 part spar varnish
2 parts mineral spirits

There is a process to mixing them. Some woodworkers also have a popular mix they call the 3-2-1 which uses Poly instead of the Spar varnish. There were several others "mix ratios" that guys make up for their work.
ah thank you. ive heard of this.

1 part spar varnish
2 parts mineral spirits

From what I've read here before, put it on in one thick coat to the point it won't be absorbed any more. Then wipe off any puddles.