16' Lowe Utility-V: Prepping for paint.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah me and my bro are really bummed. Because when we get around to re-painting the boat and motor in the off season, we can't find replacement decals just like those. I guess we-ll just have to go with some that look similar.

I don't know where you plan on using your boat at but is the second motor really needed? You have just added a lot of weight to the back of you boat. You are coming along very good and the boat looks nice. You can get decals made like the ones on your motor by taking the hood to a shop that makes decals and they should be able to match them.

oh dear lord no... we just put it on the back for someplace to store it haha. but hey... One more 6 on the other side and we could have a mircro drug-runner. oh rerally? that cool, ill have to check into that more. Also, is there any major differences i should know about between marine carpet and regular outdoor carpet? I'm sure there is cause of the price but I just wasn't sure if we could get away with outdoor carpet.

Gregory828 said:
Yeah me and my bro are really bummed. Because when we get around to re-painting the boat and motor in the off season, we can't find replacement decals just like those. I guess we-ll just have to go with some that look similar.

there are lots of decal companys that will make them, and most are the same price as factory decals or cheaper. google custom decals.

ny.marine.com he can make them also

You are going to have a tough time finding stock decals that match your motor to original unless you have them made. But here is a site that you can put custom decals or a different year decal on. Doesn't look like 1991 25hp is available, it has them for the 40 and 50's in 91 but no 25's. Or you may want to try ebay, I got a nice custom set that I have never seen before off of ebay.
https://garzonstudio.com/outboard/johnson.html

As for the 6hp on the back, your boat can probably handle it but if you run in choppy water it will put more torque on the transom in the up position bouncing around. The engine only weighs 55lbs. I see a lot of people (including me for a time before my bow mount) running with 30+pound electrics hanging off the back and never have or had any issues. The sweet thing is your fuel fitting should match off of your 25 johny so you can just plug in and troll right off your johnson tank. Those older twin cylinder small hp J/E are smooth running little motors :D . I have thought about putting my 71' 6hp johny on the back of my 14' lowe for pike trolling in the summer when I need more speed than my 55lb PDV2 likes to put out for hours on end. And the 30hp doesn't like to run at trolling speed for very long before it gets gummed up, not to mention it is not fuel efficient to troll with a 30.

Yeah I'm gonna have to look into getting some new decals made. And yeah the fuel fitting are the same. We figured the only real reason we would actually need the 6hp on the back is in case the 25 doesn't run well at idle speeds. We'll be running a trot line off this boat so we're gonna need that. we do have a carb rebuild kit for the 25 just in case.

Getting real excited. Got cut outs for the upper tier on the cast deck done. *We plan on bolting down the fan there for some extra speed.*

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 928
  • DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 928
Welcome =D> =D> You guys have a great start for a neat looking hull. Really cool how well it cleaned up. Nice plan for your build. As always we love pics of other guys ideas and styles.

Thanks guys! I have to say, I'm in a bit of a pickle. We're putting a hatch in-between the two benches that the deck sits on but we're limited in room because of the Vhull. I know a lot of people buy plastic basket things from the store but we cant cause the v starts getting deep. So i want to build something that kind of conforms to the shape of the hull to get the most room possible. (like the pic below.) Ive thought of making it out of sheet metal, thick plastic, or just wood. I did buy some quarter inch fiber board, its sturdy and durable. but I haven't done anything with it yet. Just wanted to get some ideas on what material I should use and then how to hold it all together. I was thinking brackets but i cant find angled ones. If you have any suggestion, all are welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• Hatch.png
    Hatch.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 911
Gregory828 said:
Thanks guys! I have to say, I'm in a bit of a pickle. We're putting a hatch in-between the two benches that the deck sits on but we're limited in room because of the Vhull. I know a lot of people buy plastic basket things from the store but we cant cause the v starts getting deep. So i want to build something that kind of conforms to the shape of the hull to get the most room possible. (like the pic below.) Ive thought of making it out of sheet metal, thick plastic, or just wood. I did buy some quarter inch fiber board, its sturdy and durable. but I haven't done anything with it yet. Just wanted to get some ideas on what material I should use and then how to hold it all together. I was thinking brackets but i cant find angled ones. If you have any suggestion, all are welcome. Thanks.

you could build the box like your drawing then get some aluminum flat bar say like 1X 1/16 and bend it like my drawing to cradle your box for support and attach it to the box and then to the deck and then put your deck back on. i think wood will be fine for the box as long as you make the hatch covers water tight so water dont get into them and you could caulk the joints on the box if you wanted to also....777 (800x313).jpg

Is it easy to bend those bars? cause we certainly don't have any tool specific for that. But that sounds like a good idea. And yeah I want to put that water seal foam tape stuff around all the hatches but i think we want to waterproof all the wood in the boat.. just to be safe.

Gregory828 said:
Is it easy to bend those bars? cause we certainly don't have any tool specific for that. But that sounds like a good idea. And yeah I want to put that water seal foam tape stuff around all the hatches but i think we want to waterproof all the wood in the boat.. just to be safe.

yes it is, just lay it on a bench and one of you hold it down on the bench so the edge of the bench is where you want the bend.
you could use a smaller thickness than 1/16 also, but even 1/8 or 1/4 bends pretty easy, aluminum is a pretty soft material.
and even very thin aluminum will support the box so it does not fall down below the deck unless you have hundreds of pounds of gear to put in it lol! and you wanna counter sink the bolts that will hold the box up so when you carpet the deck you wont have bumps under ther carpet...

Ok that might sound like a plan, ill have to see what sizes they have at my home depot. thanks for the input. much appreciated!

Hello all, and Happy Thanksgiving. Haven't posted in a while but have some updates/pictures/questions. We've mainly just been working on stripping the paint from the topside. Its Getting more difficult due to the colder weather, but its coming along, slowly but surely. I think we've decided that were not going to paint the hull, just clean it with a aluminum/pontoon cleaner. And now for some questions in need of suggestions.

1) On the third pic down, showing the bench brace. We plan on stripping that area better after we've gotten the larger areas but for the area inside that gap, will that be ok to leave as is and just spray some etching primer were it reaches? Cause its gonna have to be...

2) Best and most effective aluminum cleaner. In your opinion.

3) Best and most effective way to paint the interior. Roll & Tip or spray with rattle cans. Pros? Cons?

4) What to use to fill the corrosion spots on the bench?

That's about all I have at the moment. Hopefully we can finish up this paint stripping so we can get this project rolling! All have a great Holiday.

Attachments

• DSC09205.jpg
    DSC09205.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC09203.jpg
    DSC09203.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC09204.jpg
    DSC09204.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC09202.jpg
    DSC09202.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 580
Nice little boat project you got goin there sir! Bet she will move with that 25hp johnson on her! I have a 35 yahama on mine, well 25 but I upgraded the carbs and now it's a 35hp, if you ever want more umpf you can do the same to yours I'm sure! Keep up the good work!

Finally got around to taking the engine off, and boy was that a struggle. Broke a clamp bolt in the process. Oops. We had an even bigger struggle getting the transom plate off to reveal the wood, and boy was that a good idea, it was in pretty rough shape. And probably the biggest struggle (no one said modifying boats was easy) was fighting with the stubborn bolts to remove the bow and corner caps. All in all, we have a lot of corrosion to clean up. Thinking we're gonna sand down the caps, patch with jb weld, etch prime, paint.

We were wondering if it would be wise to paint all the trans aluminum before putting the wood back in to keep it from corroding any more. It already has some major pitting in it. Thoughts? And if we do this would it be a bad idea to use marine ply wood if all the aluminum around it was painted? or be safe and just treat some regular ply?

Attachments

• DSC09239.jpg
    DSC09239.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC09244.jpg
    DSC09244.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC09241.jpg
    DSC09241.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC09242.jpg
    DSC09242.jpg