18ft Alumacraft jon boat mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kajun

Reaction score
figured i'd start a mod thread on my boat and add pics as i go along...

1984 18ft Alumacraft jon boat with a 1984 johnson 35hp....

its gonna be mainly a catfish and crappie boat....and maybe alil flounder giggin and backwater redfish/speckletrout fishin too...i'm not much of a bass fisher...but if they bite my hook i dont throw them away :)

plans are to add seats...a floor with carpet and rebuild the front casting deck, rod holders,fish finder,trolling motor...and maybe a repaint later on down the road..and another trailer that fits it..

here it is when i first bought it

dscf0002zy9.jpg

dscf0009qf5.jpg

dscf0001ol2.jpg

dscf0005wf8.jpg

here's a update from last weekend....ripped out the rotted front casting deck...i will replace it later....i also added some seats.

dscf0007ek4.jpg

dscf0011es3.jpg

Nice big boat! What's the beam width?

And welcome!
ST

PS- What's stuck in your oarlocks?? (lol, inquiring mind :) )

SlimeTime said:

Looks like the oar brackets you clamp onto the oars...

Can you imagine rowing in that Jon.....that boat is a "pig"

ACarbone624 said:
SlimeTime said:

Looks like the oar brackets you clamp onto the oars...

Can you imagine rowing in that Jon.....that boat is a "pig"

Now that you mention it I believe you're right. lol, and NO! I just sold a 16' canoe because I couldn't paddle it anymore :cry:

ST

SlimeTime said:
Nice big boat! What's the beam width?

And welcome!
ST

the top beam width is 72 "...the bottom is 48... so what is this considered to be a 18x72 or 18x48?...i'm going to install some gunnel rod holders later this afternoon..too hot outside to do anything now .i'll post some pics of it when done......yea those are oarholders...there is no way i'd be rowing this big beast either lol..i'll have a fully charged battery and trolling motor each time i go out...

I'd remove the center seat, deck it at current floor level, carpet it, add 3-pin-style removable seats (front, center and rear) and add stick steering controls to the front & electric start motor. Add a rod locker down one side, and a large livewell/baitwell on the other, maybe some storage if it worked into the plan.

ST

i wont be decking it like a bass boat..just need a simple floor and a front casting deck....its gonna be an old slimy catfish boat :mrgreen:

well..here are the pics of the rod holders i just installed....i'll be using them to troll for crappie,spanish mackeral and when i'm catfishin i anchor up above the hole, set 6 rods on the hole and hope for a bigun :mrgreen:

dscf0002gk7.jpg

dscf0005av7.jpg

here's what i'm after...big Cats!....this is me on the James river in Virginia 2 yrs ago...

kajuncatfishrk4.png

Nice catfish. I like the big jon, but what's the blue boat with the fins next to it? Looks like you're restoring an old one there.

FishFry said:
what's the blue boat with the fins next to it? Looks like you're restoring an old one there.

thats my 1959 herter's flying fish :) ...very rare boat..not many of them left..i'm going to do a full restore on it..kinda waiting for it to cool off here in florida so i can start sanding/fiberglassing/painting....i got a white 1962 Mercury 500 that i'm going to restore also..boat is gonna be same color blue/white....can't wait to finish it :)

here's some pics of it..

sideviewdn0.jpg

dscf0024to2.jpg

merccropvp1.jpg

here's 2 of them thats been fully restored..pretty much mine will have same paint scheme as the pink/white..just light blue where the pink is and white on topside..

hertersbest009wl9.jpg

1007184ts0.jpg

Latest posts