1957 SEARS 14ft. project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miker5515

Reaction score
OK so here's the project. I acquired a 1957 sears 14 ft. jon in which i hope to convert to somewhat of a bass boat. Boat measures 14ft long, 36in at bottom, and 56in at top and has 10 large ribs and seems to be built very sturdy, transom has 2 supports to floor. I have most of the parts to complete including a trailer, 25 horse outboard, and foot controlled troller for the bow. I had thought about making a casting deck from the middle bench, which is actually closer to the bow, to the bow and just carpet the floor between the benches and just put a swivel seat on the rear bench offset to drive the outboard, Needing 2 batterys i was wondering with the somewhat heavy outboard would it balance the boat better to take the foam out of the middle bench and put a lid on it and put the batterys in the bench on the outside edges. I have a large shop with welding capabilities and am a descent fab. guy so i'm looking for some imput to at least try to go in the right direction. My sons are helping with the project and i'm trying to teach a little but i also like tinkering with stuff like this. Any suggestions on balance or engineering are greatly appreciated as well as any other advice. I'm not a big guy either if this matters in the balance(180lbs and somewhat nimble) at least i like to think i still am LOL. Thanks in advance for any advice......Mike P.S. I'll post pics when i figure out how on boat in different stages of completion.

sorry......I was distracted by your profile pic....LOL...... its a flat bottom. we were stripping the bottom this evening....a friend that owes me a favor is a paint foreman at the shipyard and it will be getting several coats of paint of epoxy paint they paint the big ships with... i can't wait to get it done. the suspense is killing me. Please keep the responses coming thanks

miker5515 said:
sorry......I was distracted by your profile pic....LOL...... its a flat bottom. we were stripping the bottom this evening....a friend that owes me a favor is a paint foreman at the shipyard and it will be getting several coats of paint of epoxy paint they paint the big ships with... i can't wait to get it done. the suspense is killing me. Please keep the responses coming thanks

haha... ya i like my profile pic too! lol... thats soo awesome that your getting your boat professionally painted with good quality paint! not gonna like im kinda jealous! mine is just rattle canned for now. check out my build thread in my signature and feel free to steal any of my ideas or input any ideas of your own!

Latest posts