1959 Memp AP1455 - Tell me what it is!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surveywaters

Reaction score
As stated , I have a 1959 Memp (Memphis?) AP1455 Semi V aluminum boat. It has no holes, no cracks and no class; but it's got style. She is presently covered in brushed on house paint I think, which hopefully will make it easier to strip. I want to strip, Gluvit, prime/paint, and do some sort of false bottom and seating suited to fishing and fun. Any input would be great! I have no idea what I'm doing. I am looking for an effective stripper but less expensive than Aircraft Remover; I don't think it will require quite that level of effectiveness, it's already flaking off. Well, here she is the day we brought her home (That's my boss standing in the boat).
DSCN3233_zps0f88f125.jpg

DSCN3235_zps91afd562.jpg

DSCN3234_zps53031d9b.jpg

I think this weekend I'll slip into the wash bay at work, put the red tip on the industrial pressure washer and see what comes off. Could this be a bad idea for any reason that has yet to occur to me? The paint appears to be old alkyd house paint that was brushed on. It is popping off in many places. Would soaking the finish with anything ahead of time make this work better? Same for the carpet adhesive. I can't use a stripper in the wahs bay, but anything household should be okay.

Neat boat. Definitely looks to be 50s-60s vintage. The lines are similar to my Arkansas Traveler and some Starcrafts I've seen. Try checking out the link below for a bit more info.

https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Main_Page

While cleaning the boat today I found the tag. It is a Memphis Belle. Built by the Guy Barnette & Co. Inc. They primarily made Coach Cars like limo's and ambulances from 1948-1955, went bust then came back in '58 under a different name. This tells me that the year on my title is possibly incorrect. I can't find anything on there boats, but my tag says:
"MEMPHIS BELLE ALL-ALUMINUM BOATS"
"MODEL AP1455 B SERIAL NO. 14 33 MAX. H.P. 25"

That boat looks awesome. It has soooo much character!

With the nice high sides, you could build a nice casting deck up front and maybe put a flat floor in the rest if it for an open layout with lots of room.

Latest posts