1964 Johnson 18 horse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pruitt1222

Reaction score
So I got my powerhead rebuilt, Every thing but the carb. I was chomping at the bit so I put it in a barrel and started it. Fired up after a few pulls, ran for a while then it died. Couldn't get it to refire for nothing. Put a compression gauge on it and had 145 and 85 psi, I pulled the head off to find a one inch crack. Sent back the carb and water pump kit today to try and make a bit of the money back, What should I do with the rest? The gasket kit and bearings I believe could be reused but can the head gasket and rings be reused? My wife told me to put it on ebay but I am unsure. I hate to sell the whole thing as a parts engine and only make a few buucks off of it but what else can I do? I would say the rings have less then 2000 rpms on them, It ran for about 40 sec.s or so at a high idle.

its not the head but the cylinder, And its a big crack. No picture kinda upset with it right now and don't want to pull it apart. I guess I am going to sell it on ebay unless any one on here needs any of these parts. Its a 64 johnson fd-18E. I have sold the electric start already but the rest is up for grabs, bottom end worked good when I got it.

Start watching Craigslist and wait for a donor engine for a powerhead. Most will not need a rebuild. Many different years of both Johnson And Evinrude will fit your mid-section. Will be a straight bolt-on repair and your darb and ignition components will work as well. In the meantime....rebuild your carb and water pump.

sell the lower unit recoupe atleast 200 with the prop sell the bottom leg with the transom mount for a 100 and then sell coils for 20 flywheel for 20 thats what i would do. You could almost get enough to put in on another used 25hp

Yep the motor went to a machiine shop to be bored. I took the boat out this weekend with the johnson 25 I bought from a guy at work and i decided to just keep this engine on the boat so don't have no use for that motor now. I guess I will sell it as a parts motor. Parts powerhead, lower unit, transom mount/exhaust housing, and lower cover/upper hood and shop manual. That sound about right? I guess I just need to get on fleebay and compare there prices on these parts and cut them by a third or so.

I would be having a few words with the machine shop. If the block was cracked when you brought it in they should have caught that before any work was done. Otherwise I would suspect they did something wrong when working on it..