1989 Evinrude 9.9 Fuel Pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmarz4evr

Reaction score
Hi, the other day I noticed a little bit fuel in the cowling of my outboard. As I was squeezing the primer bulb, the outboard wasn't turning over right away, so i squeezed a bit more, and that's when i noticed the excess fuel in the cowling area. It looks like it poured out of the carb perhaps, but i'm not sure. It could have been pouring out of the fuel pump as well. Anyway, it was tough to get the outboard going. I thought I flooded the carb from squeezing too much, or maybe i didn't install the stopper correctly. I did get it going and I didn't appear to be leaking gas in the cowling after. In fact the next day there was no gas in the cowling, it evaporated or drained out. However, I had a hard time getting it started the next day. It would not stay idle with the choke open or closed. I adjusted the idle knob, but no luck. I could get it going in gear, it would run, but it sputtered, like it wasn't getting consistent gas. The RPM's weren't steady. The tank is vented and the vent was open. I've checked the fuel line from the tank, into the outboard, all the way to the fuel pump filter cover- there are no leaks and the gas came right up. I'm isolating this to be either a fuel pump issue or something in the carb. The carb is not leaking fuel into the cowling from the gaskets or anything like that. I did not notice a hole in the diaphram of the fuel pump, but when I removed the fuel pump it did appear that one side was kind of peeled open, but I'm thinking that didn't prove much to me because perhaps I caused that opening when i was disconnecting. Let me know if you have any point of view on what the issue may be. Before that point, I had no problems with the carb rebuild I did 2 years ago. I never saw gas spilling out and idle and rpm's in gear were strong, which has me aiming at the fuel pump.

Well for anyone experience an issue like this, It ended up being the fuel pump, there must have been a leak someplace in the Diaphram, that's probably why I saw gas in the the cowling of the engine. It's running perfect now, I went ahead and changed the fuel pump completely since it's an 1989 and probably the original fuel pump. About 40.00 to fix and easy to do yourself.

Latest posts