1992 Yamaha 40 MSHQ anodes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Does anyone happen to have any experience with an outboard 40 hp 2 stroke around a 1992 model? I was cleaning up the motor and servicing when I noticed it’s time for a new anode/trim tab. Then I wondered about the power head it’s self.
I know other models have them.
A parts break down showed one around the crankcase cylinder diagram. How the way it looks it could be changed From the surface of the motor or it could be inside which it looks like I’d have to remove the head and gaskets to get to it.
Where ever it is Im sure it’s never been changed. The outside of all the gaskets still have factory paint.
I’m trying to figure it out because if it’s internal I want to plan ahead and have all new gaskets ready as well as a few extra bolts just Incase.
The first bolt I touched when I started working on the thing was a thermostat bolt which twisted off like it was soft as bubble gum. That has been the only one though with all the other work I’ve done to get it into shape. Runs great now just don’t want to change that because I tried to do good maintenance.
Does anyone know about these anodes and should I be this concerned about changing it? The boat is freshwater only but it had evidence of some saltwater abuse when I cleaned it up and found a small spot of corrosion on the power head and bad corrosion under the flooring. That could’ve been due to it staying wet underneath or the treated plywood I found. It’ll stay a mystery. The previous owner seemed to disappeared after I bought i. Good thing I got it so cheap for a project anyway.
I appreciate any knowledge ab anodes and changing them thanks.
Doug
Here are some pictures. Is this what I’m looking for?03993985-DD00-41F2-83B5-3BBEEAB89449.jpegE1F0F21A-7CAB-4158-9E51-DE8D7C5F818C.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts