2002 yamaha 9.9 4 stroke tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downtofish

Reaction score
I bought one of these, guy said it runs, no gas tank or fuel lines so ive yet to test it but it looked clean. cracks in the top cowl and nice chunk out of the bottom case stabalizer/fan thing, but don't think that will effect it. Paid 300, if it dosn't run could i make that back in parts ? I'm crossing my fingers she runs, it looks clean... also looking for a manuel for it if anyone knows where i can find one.

Good luck with it, sounds very cheap for a yam 4 stroke 2002. I hope you prove wrong the old adage that "If it sound's too good to be true, it usually is"

downtofish said:
I bought one of these, guy said it runs, no gas tank or fuel lines so ive yet to test it but it looked clean. cracks in the top cowl and nice chunk out of the bottom case stabalizer/fan thing, but don't think that will effect it. Paid 300, if it dosn't run could i make that back in parts ? I'm crossing my fingers she runs, it looks clean... also looking for a manuel for it if anyone knows where i can find one.

If the skeg is broken, you can't get much for the lower unit. If you can't get it to run, and there's a problem with the powerhead, the engine is scrapiron. The only thing left, since the cowling is broken, is the midsection and clamp, and they usually don't fetch much since they don't break often. Have gone down this road again. If I see a motor for sale for a good price and don't know anything about it, I start looking at the sellable parts (powerhead and foot). If they're broken, it's just about impossible to sell it for anything but scrap. HOWEVER. It IS a Yamaha 4 stroke which is almost bulletproof. Not indestructible but they're TOUGH engines. Chances are good that it'll run, but might have to do a little work to it. In running condition, with a broken skeg and cowling, I probably wouldn't expect much more than $300 and that's WITH the fuel tank & line. Keep in mind that fuel tanks are now upwards of $60 for an aftermarket one and the lines and fittings are getting close to $30-$40. EPA has changed them up again. Glad I still have an OEM "old" Yamaha tank & line!!!

IMO, $300 is not a bad deal for "maybe it'll run". If the crank shaft turns easily and the prop spins things are looking up. I've spent many dollars and busted knuckles maintaining older motors. I've since moved on to newer motors as I rather spend time fishing that turning wrenches anymore.

Good luck.

BTW, I had a 48hp Johnson that had a chunk missing out of the cavitation plate (that horizontal thing) and it ran well. If it is the skeg that is damaged, that is another story.

nomowork said:
IMO, $300 is not a bad deal for "maybe it'll run". If the crank shaft turns easily and the prop spins things are looking up. I've spent many dollars and busted knuckles maintaining older motors. I've since moved on to newer motors as I rather spend time fishing that turning wrenches anymore.

Good luck.

BTW, I had a 48hp Johnson that had a chunk missing out of the cavitation plate (that horizontal thing) and it ran well. If it is the skeg that is damaged, that is another story.

I got lucky on my 9.9, it was a 1998 model mariner and I paid $600 for it. When I bought it the prop and lower unit were unscathed, I have abused it for the last two years and it never misses a beat :mrgreen:

The skeg can be repaired by any reputable welder.

Exactly the skeg is no big deal ive had those welded up a few times and they look just like new if the welder knows what hes doing. Cowlings can be fixed too ive done that before with just a little glass work and some paint. Cosmetic things are usually easy to fix, if it runs you hit a home run on that deal. You could do a custom paint job if you know how to paint and itll look like new...

Latest posts