2018 Mercury Jet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been through mammoth cave but seen people on kayaks down there. Green river and barren river is full of trophy size smallies and musky. I've read where the corps of engineers are wanting to blow out a old dam on barren and 1 on green. If they do that then the already shallow river will become impossible to access places without a jet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Getting rid of the now useless dams would benefit the habitat and fish of those rivers, but would make them only jet accessible. It's shallow through mammoth for the most part except at the very down stream end of the park where you get closer to one of the dams, but all the area I went through would be doable in a jet jon. If you mostly want to run those rivers, I'd say go for a jet it would be well suited to them, and open up a lot more opportunities for you on them. I think your boat would be fine with a jet, as far as the long handle goes I'm standing most the time I'm running mine for a better few of whats coming up. I need to make a grab bar handle for mine for running standing up. Biggest thing will be figuring out what height and angle the engine likes to run on your boat. Depending on your transom angle you might need transom wedges you might not. But I think a 60/40 would suite your boat fine. You will probably see upper 20's most the time, might drop down to mid 20's with the kids and wife in it.

Any updates? I recently had a 17.5/56 .125 gauge Long Beach boat built,installed a new merc 60/40 I had purchased for a riveted 1656 boat, motor ran high 20’s with 2 big guys (500lbs between 2 of us), ended up getting a new boat built in hopes of using the 60/40, after playing with height and redistributing weight I was lucky to get 27-28 by myself completely unloaded,I have since sold the 60/40 and purchased a 115/80. Nothing is more annoying than an underpowered outboard jet, people told me and I never understood until I experienced it,if you’re used to how your 50 prop pushes you will be disappointed in a 60/40 jet, just my opinion:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattr0924 said:
Any updates? I recently had a 17.5/56 .125 gauge Long Beach boat built,installed a new merc 60/40 I had purchased for a riveted 1656 boat, motor ran high 20’s with 2 big guys (500lbs between 2 of us), ended up getting a new boat built in hopes of using the 60/40, after playing with height and redistributing weight I was lucky to get 27-28 by myself completely unloaded,I have since sold the 60/40 and purchased a 115/80. Nothing is more annoying than an underpowered outboard jet, people told me and I never understood until I experienced it,if you’re used to how your 50 prop pushes you will be disappointed in a 60/40 jet, just my opinion:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a 90/65 would be awful heavy for that hull I think. That thing isn't a heavy gauge hull he won't be winning races but it should get on plane without too much issue it won't leap on plane, but it would probably do just fine. I think those grizzly hulls are only .090 or .100 and with no inner sides, floor, or bunch of add on stuff his boat is pretty light probably much lighter than my 1554 .125 hull. Granted I had a 2 stroke 60/40 but it did fine with it. As long as he isn't expecting huge speed it will probably be fine. If you put the wife, kid, and some gear in it it will be slow to plane out but I imagine it will work. I'd bet he will run 27mph or so average maybe a little faster if loaded light and alone.

Well after this long of stressing about it, I pulled the trigger on a new 1752 blazer with a 60/40 mercury. I just got back from Missouri and ordered one from Troutt and sons. It'll be 4 or 5 weeks before it's there and ready for pickup. In the mean time I'm going to try to sell my grizzly. You guys think 4 grand is fair without my hummingbirds?

Crank where are you located?

I have a 1754 Grizzly center console, running a two stroke 50hp evinrude. With me and one other, loaded with gear and full bait tank we get 30 out of her.

I am about to hang my old V4 115/80 on the back of my Grizz with the power lift transom brackets. IMO, the boat was too light in the rear with the 180lb 50horse back there. Didn't hardly draft at all. We shall see what 315lb. back there will do for her.

If you arent too far from me Id consider your boat. Peace.

I'm in Bowling Green, Kentucky. I think I may have posted this but it runs 31 all day with the 50 Yamaha 4 stroke. It'll do it with just me in the boat or with my family of 4. I've had a few times I had the wind at my back and a little chop and it ran 32 and flirted with 33 a few times. Lol trailer has new tires, had new led lights but I broke the right hand tail light and 1 of the small DOT lights. I been meaning to put it on Craigslist but work 7 days a week, did 12 hours yesterday, and my back is killing me today so I'm just gonna take it easy.

60/40 Merc will be fine on that Grizzly. And carry a decent load. Plenty of guys running 60/40's on much bigger and heavier hulls. Plus depending on laws in Ky you will be illegal with the 90/65, and the extra weight of the 90/65 will make you squat a little more in the back especially since you are going with a tiller.

60/40 Mercury is the perfect motor for your boat. Lots of guys runnin jets on mod V hulls so don't let that bother you either. The Missouri guys are all Blazer flat bottom fans and seem to discount anything other than that. Outboard Jets website even recommends a slight deadrise. in the northwest guys run up 15 dg vee bottoms with jets.