3/27/09 Allatoona

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Well, at the time of launch, about 5:15, the tournament I had for tomorrow was still on, so I went with the idea to prefish for the T tomorrow. So, everytime I marked fish, caught fish, or saw bait (fish are anywhere bait is this time of year in this lake), I moved on, just to find a pattern, and number of locations to hit. So, I ended up not catching a lot of fish I should have, as I moved right past many of them. Anyway, here was the first fish, on my trusty DB minnow. Just testing my new measuring board (upside down of course). I don't have a weight, but the mark that his tail is just overlapping was 15 inches, so I am guessing he was a little under 2 pounds.
3-27-08001.jpg

Then, I caught this one on a spinnerbait. Little striper/hybrid (I never can get these right).
3-27-08002.jpg

Then came this on the same spinnerbait. My new Rapala scale said 3 pounds even.
3-27-08003.jpg

3-27-08004.jpg

Then came this on the same spinnerbait, right in the middle of school of shad they were tearing up. I actually had a double on (on a single hook spinnerbait nonetheless) but the second one came off just as I was getting it to the boat. 2 pounds 7 ounces
3-27-08005.jpg

Then came this nice striper (I think). 5 pounds, 2 ounces.
3-27-08006.jpg

Right after this, I called the guy I was going to fish tomorrows tourney with, to discuss our plan of action tomorrow (he isn't real close to this lake, and doesn't fish it much) and he told me about the T being cancelled. Darn. Not long after that, the bite turned off, and they no longer were killing shad all over the surface. I was marking stripers all over the place, but they weren't real active after that. Had I not been prefishing, and had thoroughly fished all the spots I found green fish in, I am confident that with the pattern I found, I could have had 6 plus fish, and a 12 - 13 pound best 5 weight (which is usually first place in most Ts on this lake). Here, my best 5 (well 3) green fish went a little over 7 pounds.

Hey, awesome job! Believe it or not, I haven't even gotten out once this year yet. All these reports are making me antsy. =D>

Nice catchin'. Wish the weather here would cooperate so that I could get out.

On the white fish, the top is a white bass (faint lines, with only one line extending to the tail). The one at the bottom is a hybrid (bolder lines, broken, some extending to tail, deep body...around 1/3 of the fish's length).

fish devil said:
:twisted: The first pic is a spotted bass right? Not a largemouth.
Yep. Smaller mouth (jaw doesn't extend aft of eye when mouth is closed), distinct tooth patch, and the middle of the dorsal fin is connected at the fin, and not the back of the fish.

Waterwings said:
Nice catchin' ! 8) . Do you guys when measuring the length pinch the tail fin together, or just leave it natural and measure?
If I actually need to measure, the mouth is shut, and the tail fin pinched. In this case, i just tossed him on the board, and snapped a picture.

bassboy1 said:
Waterwings said:
Nice catchin' ! 8) . Do you guys when measuring the length pinch the tail fin together, or just leave it natural and measure?
If I actually need to measure, the mouth is shut, and the tail fin pinched. In this case, i just tossed him on the board, and snapped a picture.

Just a hint I have had fish that are a tad short on the board and have flipped them over and they make it
most regs. will allow you to pinch the rail or fan it out as long as ANY part of the fin touches the min length mark the fish is a keeper

Very nice spots you have there they also look so colorful and they fight hard I wish we had them up here

Have you tried a double fluke rig when you see bass busting shad? it has worked for me on occasion

Wayne

redbug said:
Just a hint I have had fish that are a tad short on the board and have flipped them over and they make it
most regs. will allow you to pinch the rail or fan it out as long as ANY part of the fin touches the min length mark the fish is a keeper
Yep. And if you rub 'em a bit, sometimes they can gain that extra eighth of an inch....

Very nice spots you have there they also look so colorful and they fight hard I wish we had them up here
I actually don't like the spots. They do fight hard, but they pretty well take over the largemouth. While the numbers used to be about equal, as of current, we are about 80% spots, and 20 largemouth. I prefer to catch largemouth, and wish these spots wouldn't take them over.

Have you tried a double fluke rig when you see bass busting shad? it has worked for me on occasion

Wayne
No I haven't. This is really the first time this year they were busting them real good. Last trip (tourney) I only found one school being busted, and I didn't even think about trying it this time #-o

Latest posts