4hp evinrude gear selecter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njredneck3

Reaction score
I just got a 4hp evinrude it is stuck in gear the lever is broke and pulls off does anyone know if this is an easy fix that i could do i am a back yard mechanic but never worked on an out board any help would be appreiciated

njredneck3 said:
I just got a 4hp evinrude it is stuck in gear the lever is broke and pulls off does anyone know if this is an easy fix that i could do i am a back yard mechanic but never worked on an out board any help would be appreiciated
So the shifter broke off before or after you figured out it is stuck? And, it is stuck in gear, not neutral? When is the last time the motor has run? Unless it has been used regularly, you probably want to replace the water pump impeller. That job requires having the lower unit off. With the lower end off, you can test and see if the reason it is stuck is in the upper end, or the lower unit.

thanks for the info it is stuck in forward and the last time it was run was june of his year when i pull the shifter out i can see there is a piece broken off do you know if this would be an expensive repair at a marina

njredneck3 said:
thanks for the info it is stuck in forward and the last time it was run was june of his year when i pull the shifter out i can see there is a piece broken off do you know if this would be an expensive repair at a marina
Anything will be expensive at a marina. Quite frankly, I have never had to replace the shifter. Some pictures would probably help me out here. As would the model number, so I can see what design of 4 horse we are talking about.

i got a break down of the parts off of the evinrude site 98.00 for the parts and i got a price to fix it from a dealer 400.00 so it looks like ill look for a mechanic to do it on the side i was told you have to remove the power head to do the job and i have never done this before