'77 Yar sank yesterday

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seif5034

Reaction score
my cousin has a 1977 16' Yarcraft with a 70horse Johnson seahorse that he's thinking of taking out to Lake Michigan in the Grand Haven area for the 4th of July. I've gone salmon fishing on a similar craft before but I'm not sure of it's size or hull shape. Dad says it's a bad idea.... What do you think? We (my cousin and I) are going to "test the waters" tomorrow to see if we like it or not. Keeping my fingers crossed

the picture is of the same model/size Yar as my cousin's.
f3e8_1.jpg

That hull looks like it will get you real wet and slap the heck out of you in any sort of chop. You can do it - but take your time, wear your vests and make sure all your safety gear is in proper order.

Most importantly, keep and eye on the weather and if it looks even a little off - head in right away.

I have taken my boat out on Lake Michigan numerous times. I've been as far out as 12 miles from shore (on a clear and calm day though). Like Skippy said, wear your PFD and watch the weather and waves. Check the forecast before you go out and file a float plan with someone.

normal_IMG_0613.JPG

normal_5-19-08001.JPG

That second picture is just added to show relative size of the boat to a 5' 11" person and not to show off my fish again :roll:

(but they are nice fish, aren't they?)

Well we had a test on Campau lake to test it out yesterday...these were the results. We had a little trouble getting the motor started but that was expected as it hasn't been started for a year.(since the last time he wrecked the boat) He had his friend put two layers of fiberglass over the transom where it broke last time so that held water okay. we had a slow trickle from one of the bolt holes. We planned on adding more silicone when we got home.

First I should say that this is a small inland lake with houses around most edges. It's got pretty much no chop but there are some other boats around tubing/cruising so we were catching SMALL wake every now and then.

We went around the lake a couple times and then I guess we hit some wake a little too hard because the motor mount pushed through the transom like it happened to my cousin last year. Taking on water fast with a repeatedly flooding motor we got close to shore. While my cousin was driving I was attempting to calm my girlfriend down who is from MS and hasn't grown up around water like we do here in MI. I helped her put on a type I PFD then took off my shorts/shirt (I had my swimming trunks underneath) Hopped overboard and dragged that sucker to shore. The motor was dead so I just did it.

Once we got it to shore, which was also someone's backyard, we called the Department of Natural Resources but they're closed on weekends so we called the Sheriff who came out, took a statement and said that we were on our own getting it out. #-o there's some good news. I'm glad that we tested it on a small lake rather than the Grand River.

I guess now I gotta try and find new plans for the fourth of July. :)

Sounds like a rotten transom.

If that's the case, you are lucky the motor didn't rip completely off and sink to the bottom of the lake. :shock:

I think I would cut my losses on that hull and be looking for another to hang the motor off of, if the motor is worth messing with.

I pretty much let my cousin lead the project since it's his boat. I just helped him clean the interior and I made sure it had all necesary saftey equip.

The fiberglass was in decent cond. other than the repair area. the old board that was on the transom was broke through the 1st time this happened and It looked old and possibly rotted. My cousin cut a new board and just screwed it into the old one [-X I told him my opinion, I told him that we ought to just unbolt it and bolt the new one in it's place but hey, why listen to a 17-yr-old? :lol: I think what happened is the motor broke through the fiberglass and is sitting exactly where it was last time in the old wood. I'm pretty sure it didn't break the new wood.

Your transom is more than likely rotted. They don't just break off unless they are rotted. If the transom is rotted, the deck and stringers probably are too. That can be repaired but it takes MANY hours, LOTS of patience, and a good bit of money too.

You can try to repair it if you want with a patch deal, but it will fall off again. Or, you could repair it the right way, but your best bet will probably be to throw that boat away, and look for another hull. Often, people will buy a boat/trailer combination just to get the trailer, and then sell the boat for next to nothing or give it away. Check Craigslist for deals like that.

Also everybody knows not to take your girlfriend out on the maiden voyage. That is just asking for trouble. Course, all this coming from a guy where the only reason that he has a girlfriend is because he took her out on a maiden voyage, on the way home from picking it up. :D

Scrap it or put it in the front yard as a large flower garden (or vegetables) and get a new hull. Aluminum is where I would look.

Waterwings said:
...Taking on water fast...
:shock:

I could hear the General Quarters alarm going off as I was reading that! Glad everyone is okay and no injuries, or worse. So, is the boat still beached, or did y'all retreiev it?

I prolly would have been standing there yelling Bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, General Quarters, General Quarters... :)

bassboy1 said:
Your transom is more than likely rotted.
I want to make this clear. It's my cousin's boat and his transom. I would never have let my boat go out on the water the way he did his. :?

The officer that responded said to have it out by tonight at 9pm my cousin and his friends were going to go back there today to see what they could do to get it out. He owns a landscape/lawncare/decking/fencing company so he's got quite a bit of equipment. I haven't talked to him so I can't say for sure if it's in there still or not. I know that yesterday we took everything out including the motor.

and to my defense....I Wanted my girlfriend to stay home but she insisted on going. She just never listens to me until something bad happens :roll:

flounderhead59 said:
Waterwings said:
...Taking on water fast...
:shock:

I could hear the General Quarters alarm going off as I was reading that! Glad everyone is okay and no injuries, or worse. So, is the boat still beached, or did y'all retreiev it?

I prolly would have been standing there yelling Bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, General Quarters, General Quarters... :)

...Bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, General Quarters, General Quarters...

That's my ringtone. Sounds like the real deal, lol. Really turns peoples heads when they hear it :lol:

...Bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, General Quarters, General Quarters...

That's my ringtone. Sounds like the real deal, lol. Really turns peoples heads when they hear it :lol:[/quote]

You ought to stand in a marina and then have someone call you :lol: :wink: