A little trick when filing out the restrictor plates...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been reading some of the posts where guys have been filing out the restrictor plates on the older 20hp OMC's to get them up to 25 hp.
Here's a little trick to help smooth out the bores, remove some of the burrs, and hopefully save a little time hand sanding. I've been cutting chips in machine shops for the better part of 37 years, and one little trick to hone out bores is to make a polishing tool using sandpaper or emory cloth.

A air powered die grinder works best, but it'll work with a high speed drill also.

Take a 1-3/4" long 1/4-20 socket head cap screw, and cut the head off. Next, take a 1.5-2" long, 1/4 roll pin and drive it about half way down on the threads of the screw. Use the unthreaded portion to mount in the die grinder or drill chuck. Now, tear strips of sandpaper or emory cloth, 2x the dia of the bore, about 1" wide. Fold it in half with the "rough side" out. Now, slide this into the slot of the rollpin, and you have a very effective tool for polishing bores, removing burrs, etc. I've polished MANY a bore that was rusted, rough, or slightly undersize or out of round, with this tool over the years. I'm sure this will help smooth out those restrictor plates after all that hand filing to open them up.

Sounds like a homemade variation of what I call a flap wheel sander, but I'm getting a bit confused also. You said the smooth part goes in the chuck (I thought the roll pin was the smooth part) but then you said put the paper in the roll pin slot. :oops:

Latest posts