age of Johnson Seahorse 25?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel_loz

Reaction score
Ok I got a call today from a guy locally who knew I was looking for a Jon boat. I already bought a boat though, but was still looking for an outboard for it. He has a 14 ft jon, either 32 or 36 inches across the bottom with a Johnson Seahorse 25 and a trailer. The motor is running good (I went and watched it run today). The model on the plate is "25e76e" and the serial is "e4452083." I googled it and from what I read it says its a 1976 model? Is this correct? The motor seems to be in good shape and was just checked out a month ago by an outboard mechanic. The guy wants $350 for the boat, motor, and trailer. The trailer is pretty trashed, but the boat is in decent shape for an old jon boat. Just want to know if the age I found is correct, and if the motor is a decent motor - it will be pushing my 1448 jon boat with decks.

I am not sure of the year, but if it was well cared for it is an excellent motor to my knowledge. As far as pushing your 1448... hold on tight because you are going to fly. I had to make sure everything was fastened down when I used a 25HP on my 1467 V boat.

So is that maybe too much motor for the boat? If its too much for my heavy 1448, its got to be unreal on the back of the small 1432 its currently on because the boat is much lighter than my current one.

I figured 20-25hp would be about right to move the 1448 around the lakes...stripped down as it currently sits its already very heavy - heavier than any other jon boat I have ever fooled with.

Most 1448s are rated for 25, so you should be ok.
Heck, my 1440 is rated for 20 and it ran/handled great when I put a 25 on it for a few trips before I got my 18hp.
Check your capacity plate.
Also, is it a mod-v or flatbottom?

My point was more of envy than caution! =P~

It should do just fine. Most 1448's are rated for up to 25.

Its a flatbottom. I am waiting on the guy whose selling it to let me know if he will sell me just the motor. He wants $350 for the 1432 or 1436 flat bottom jon, a trailer that looks a little too large for it, and the motor. Im gonna see what he says for just the motor since I dont have the time to fool with the second boat and trailer right now and they both could use a little cleaning up/paint before I could even resell them comfortably.

I am sure if you stuck some pics and a quick ad on craigslist you could get your money back selling the boat and trailer.

Already did that - I paid $350 for the boat, trailer, and motor (which I just got done running - it needs some adjustment, but runs good and is electric start!).

I put an ad on craigslist with no pictures around noon today. By 3:00pm I already had 19 emails and six calls about it. I hadnt even picked up the boat at that point. The boat and trailer sold for $400. So I made $50 cash and got the running 25hp johnson outboard...score!

Yeah I paid $700 for my 1448 flat bottom jon, galvanized tilt trailer by Highlander, and a Motorguide 543 Four trolling motor. I then turned around and bought the second boat, trailer, and Johnson Seahorse 25hp for $350. Sold the second boat and trailer for $400 without the outboard. Now my 1448 setup with a newly acquired Johnson 25 hp has only cost me $650! Lets see if I cant do that a couple more times and get my costs down even more...ha

Well just bought another 1436 Sears Gamefisher and painted trailer tonight. Boat needed a new transom installed, the trailer needed rust removed and paint, general boat cleanup and junk removal, and then some odds and ends like a winch strap and lights on the trailer.

I gave $200 for it. Seeing how quick the last one sold for $400, I figured I could pick this one up, do the necessary repairs and turn around and sell it for a bit more than I paid. Apparently fair market value on used jon in good shape around here is more than I expected - people were shocked I let the last one go for $400. I think $500 or $600 with the trailer would have been a better price. I think once I get this one done I will price it around $600 and put the craigslist ad out to see what happens.

I already replaced the transom and removed the old busted lights and wiring off the trailer. Got a lot of work done tonight thanks to my new Dewalt angle grinder! It was my first time replacing a transom, but it went fairly smooth and only cost me about $30 in wood, silicone, and hardware. Gonna start cleaning up the trailer tomorrow.

Dang, I'm gonna have you look for me a new boat when I am ready to buy, you're having great luck!

Well the guy that bought the first 1436 the other day wanted the 1448 when he saw it sitting up on the sawhorses. He really almost flipped and its not a pretty boat currently. Apparently he had tried to buy it from the guy I bought it from, but the guy had already committed it to me.

There are tons of old jon boats around down here, I literally see about 25 a day that I can tell havent seen the water in at least 5 years, maybe more. They need a little bit of work - cleaning, maintenance, etc., but then they are good to go. Problem is that most people that have them in that condition are older, have had the boat for years and years, and just really dont want to get rid of it even though they haven't used in several years. Its just how some people are. I know how to talk to people pretty well and I have a rather large network of friends, associates, business clients, and acquaintances. I just put word out that Im looking for a boat and wait for a response. It usually takes a couple of weeks, but one usually pops up.

There are 2 others that I currently have my eye on about five minutes from my office. They are near where I fish and are in good shape, but they arent being used anymore.

Latest posts