Aluminum skiff build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
My last jon boat just went to it's new owners yesterday. I am currently without a boat except for my 17 ft. Grummin canoe. Even though there's not a lot of crawdads or alligators in Western Pa. I've been kicking around the idea of building an aluminum skiff.

I was thinking of buying a bare hull and found a couple places that build 16 to 18 foot ones that are 45 inches wide. I need a light weight boat as I fish a lot of area that are 20 HP restricted.

I was thinking 18X45 with a tiller motor and flotation pods, grab bar console, live well, small seat/ battery box in the rear, and a couple pedestal seats.

Anyone have one or ever build one? I'm just in the planning stage, so let hear your thoughts. Thanks Todd

I figured with all the Cajuns that read this board, someone has built a skiff. I don't know how it would handle in the river. All the skiff info I can find are on flats fishing boats.

Todd, I have never owned a skiff, but, have been in a few of them. Here in Florida,
winds can kick up out of nowhere pretty quick and they ARE a rough, wet ride in heavy chop !!

you said yourself: All the skiff info I can find are on flats fishing boats.

That should steer your thinking towards that is what they are made for.
Shallow runnings - such as tidal zones or down in the Florida Keys!!

But of course, if you are going to build your own, you can design it to suit your needs.
If I ever get a chance to design and build my own, it will be a V front and flat back.
and super wide like 60" or more.
good luck !!

Latest posts