Any Ideas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much, that is what I was thinking but just wanted some moral support. I don't have a tach. Do they make ones that I can just buy and attach when I am tunning or is it something that I will have to have on for good. Thanks again for all the resources you are providing.

popoeye said:
Thank you very much, that is what I was thinking but just wanted some moral support. I don't have a tach. Do they make ones that I can just buy and attach when I am tunning or is it something that I will have to have on for good. Thanks again for all the resources you are providing.

I purchased a Tiny Tach clone which you wrap a lead around a spark plug wire. The clone was more configurable than the Tiny Tach, which was purchased last winter to work on a new to me vintage snowmobile. I plan to use it on my small outboards and lawn equipment. I will be trying it on my Nissan 40C over the holiday weekend.

PS: Here is the one I got: https://trailtech.net/tto_tach-hour.html Paid around $30 off of ebay.

Thank you again. I will be ordering one today. Thanks you have been such a help. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

So I want to thank everyone for their help. I got the engine purring like a kitten, with all of the advice that you guys gave me. I have one last question for now. How hot should the water be coming out of the pee hole. I have noticed that the water coming out is pretty hot, and me never owning an outboard am not sure if this is normal. Thanks again for everything.

popoeye said:
So I want to thank everyone for their help. I got the engine purring like a kitten, with all of the advice that you guys gave me. I have one last question for now. How hot should the water be coming out of the pee hole. I have noticed that the water coming out is pretty hot, and me never owning an outboard am not sure if this is normal. Thanks again for everything.

you can buy temp. sticks for your motor model, they look like wax pencils and when your motor is warmed up( out on water running) you take the cover off and mark your head(or mark it before you start engine,i cant remember) and the wax will melt at a certain temp. to tell you if you are having a cooling issue, there are two sticks if i remember right. one to tell if you are hot and one to tell if you are cold. call your local shop and they will explain it to you better than me and should be able to get you the ones you need to test. p.s. the water will feel hot but if you cant hold your hand under it without pulling it away you probally have a problem...imo.........good luck!!!

popoeye said:

It could be normal on a merc. My new to me merc, has the pee hole directly connected to the thermostat via hose. When you just start it up, it just dribbles, and was unnerving until looking at the design. Once the motor warmed up, a steady stream of water occured. It is much warmer than my other outboards because of that design. The others have a stream coming 100% of the time and is a mix of the water that went through head along with bypass water.

Now, if you haven't changed that impeller yet... all the more reason to get at it asap. ;) The hot water could be just from low flow. Once the impeller has deteriated so far, pieces start to break off. Depending on design of pump housing, those pieces might start to flow into passages and start to plug things up. That can turn a relative easy repair into a big PITA.

popoeye said:
Thank you again. I will be ordering one today. Thanks you have been such a help. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

I didn't get to try it on my Nissan 40C, but worked well on my Merc 25hp today. While I still prefer analog tach, this worked fine for setting idle speed and seeing what top wot rpm was. Slightly jumpy at idle, but was using the "fast" sampling setting.

Latest posts