Back Yard Boat Builders. From United States Coast Guard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubin56

Reaction score
Even though this is from Minnesota I thought this might give everyone here some important things everyone should know about Mod on boats. I hope everyone check this out first just incase you decide to get your boat inspected

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

Mojo said:
There's too much math in there!

Lol, I agree :) . What I keyed-in on was the use of floatation foam (Federal Law I believe it read). I guess if the USCG really wanted to push it if they inspected boats thoroughly, they could shut-down quite a few boaters. :shock: . I'm leaving mine in, as I want to be able to recover mine from the surface if something happens.

Thanks a lot great information! I have a question though, it says that you have to have a capacity plate and certification label on your boat, and this little guide is intended really for someone who is building a boat from scratch, it seems to be instructing you to perform these tests and then make them. Well what if you have an old boat and don't even know what it is and don't have these anymore? Do I just make some? or do I just pretend like I never saw this and didn't know any better in the long shot that it ever comes up?...

Here's the thing I have notice some people taking their seats out and not putting them back in, the float device is under most aluminum seats. Second, the capacities plate is there for everyone protection. Some people need to know how much weight, can be in a boat. From motor, supplies, and persons. Now I do know some old boats don't have a plate but mostly that's because when replacing the transom they're throw away by accident. This post is only if you are getting your boat inspected. But also for protection. Some people say you can get new ones from the company you got the boat from but some people have got boats from poeple online and picked up at the scrap yard. I know, I need to replace mine but Sears doesn't do that anymore. So maybe I will have to get mine from the Coast Guard if they do that still. [-o<

I hope it helps everybody. Be safe in the water, my new Tinboat friends. :D

Latest posts