Bare aluminum shine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasprite

Reaction score
I purchased a used Sea Sprite 18 foot Jon Boat. It was painted, I've stripped it down to bare aluminum. The previous owners used a wire wheel to ruff up the paint. I would like to sand the wire wheel marks out, but I don't want to over sand. What grit sand paper should I use. I was thinking 400 grit and finish with very fine. Will this give me the shine I need?

not an expert, but i've polished some aluminum on my bike and work from 800 grit to 2000 grit before using polishing compounds to get a chrome finish. I don't think you would get much shine from 400 but on a high speed orbital you just may. Best idea would be to start out with a little of each 400-1000 and see which gets the best results the quickest through all the wire wheel marks. May need to gradually increase the grit if they are deep.

Thanks for your reply, that's the way I was heading with it. I'm just afraid I don't want to loose my aluminum thickness and hurt the integrity of the boat (loose rivets, thin spots etc). I'm a fishing guide and will be using this boat every day next season. Bare aluminum is easier to take care of. Thanks for your service to our country! Go Army!

I polish the aluminum on my antique truck with a Dewalt buffer and 3 different grades of polish I got at a truck stop. The polish comes in a bar. One's green. ones brown and ones white. I can't remeber which one, I'm thinking the brown is the coarse one. Start with it and go to the finest. You use 3 different wheels, one for each color.

Your boat will shine. It's really messy and you'll need to wear a face mask. Good luck. Todd

make sure you get us some pics up when you have her done, I might be tempted to be doing the same! Also, If you use any wire wheels make sure they are brass! Little pieces of steel wire wheels will get into your aluminum and cause some nasty sights

Im wanting to polish my bare aluminum boat also. Very interested in this post. Any info,tips and pics are appreciated. But Ive got an idea on how to start now.

The Sea Sprite I purchased from Harrisburg, Pa International Airport rescue boat. It was painted bright yellow inside and out. They used a wire wheel to ruff the aluminum for paint. When I stripped the yellow paint off I discovered not only wire wheel marks in random patterns, but very bad oxidation as well. I used 2000 grit and Mothers Mag and Aluminum. But it wasn't a uniform finish. Some shiny spots and some brushed aluminum. That's what I have now. So I'll need to sand it all down once again for a more uniform and shiny look.
I used Zip Strip marine stripper (around $15 a can) it did great. I just finished it a few days ago. I live in Northeast, Pa when I stripped it, the temperature was in the low 40 degrees ( I did it outside). It didn't effect the process at all. Some suggested Aircraft Stripper at $69 a can. I did it with 2 quarts of Zip Strip.
I'll send photos soon.

Thanks for all your responses.

You can also use oven cleaner to strip paint. it will clean off all the oxidation and any grease or oil. Rinse it real well when you are finished. it's almost pure lye. Good luck Todd

My boat is not painted. Would using the oven cleaner clean off any existing oxidation,water line gunk,oil,old wax,etc? Was thinking I could use that then light sanding and then polish.

Be careful with it. The main ingredient in oven cleaner is sodium hydroxide or caustic soda- which will completely dissolve aluminum if left exposed.

I have read about using the oven cleaner on aluminum wheels and totally forgot about it, any ya'll know if it by chance chew up some carpet glue by any chance? Or atleast soften it enough to scrape off.

Attached is the Sea Sprite I purchased. I'll download a photo after I get it stripped and shiny. I'm in the process of sanding off the oxidation and wire wheel marks. I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,311
That looks like the beginning of a serious fishing machine!

What a boat. Heavy duty. Remember, aluminum starts to oxidize the second you finish polishing. You need to get some kind of clear coat on it right away or a self etching primer followed by your color of choice right away (primer does not prevent oxidization). Whichever way you go, you are going to have one heck of a fishing boat that is going to turn heads at the ramp. Nice catch!

Latest posts