Big 3

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specknreds

Reaction score
A MODERN PARABLE...

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company (Ford) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents, and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners, and free pens for the rower There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes, and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was outsourced to India .

Sadly, The End.

Here's something else to think about:
Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US , claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

By contrast, TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US ! The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses.

Ford folks are still scratching their heads.

THIS MIGHT BE FUNNY IF IT WEREN'T SO DARNED TRUE

Sad but true about American companies in general, and all 3 of the US auto makers basically followed the same path. From what I understand, the foreign auto makers in the US are also non-union. I thought it amusing where the Big 3 execs offered to only work for a $1 a year if they were bailed-out, lol. Like that would really hurt them to do so, considering they're all multi-billionaires to begin with :roll: . I believe it was a previous CEO of Home Depot who failed miserably after one year on the job, and his "severance" pay was phenomenal (in the millions as I recall).

If they really wanted to save themselves, all executives making over $100,000 per year should be cut down to no more than that until they start showing a profit. Sure, it helps to have the CEO cut his pay to a dollar a year but what about the hundreds of other high ranking personel making way to much money. There should be a law that says there is no golden parachute if the company is failing. If you paid me millions of dollars to quit, I would quit in a heartbeat also. That is one of the problems. Then they go out and find someone else to run the company for a year or two, then leave taking even more from the company.

KMixson said:
There should be a law that says there is no golden parachute if the company is failing.

i disagree - why do we want the government making laws about how a private company pays employees? it sucks that these companies have become dinosaurs and are close to extinction - but remember, before there was a Ford, a Gm or a Chrysler other companies existed. These three came along and pushed the other companies (Remember Studebaker, Nash, etc.?)out of business and now they are getting the same treatment. It is capitalism and if you make dumb *** moves with your company someone else will take advantage and put you under. Rather then bailing out bad companies we should push the people who work for us (elected officials) to help some new companies who can do things better

Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US , claiming they can't make money paying American wages

they cant pay the UNION wages, plus they're paying the retired factory workers untill they die.

they need to fire all those a**holes and do away with union. anybody off the street can learn to run a machine and push buttons. and be more than happy to make half of what the union wages are.

if the reps dont want to cut they're million dollar end of year bonus's, the government needs to tell them to stick there head rite up there ***. its turning into a childrens game

i just got to work and found out i was getting a 10% pay cut (i only make 16/hr flat rate commision), plus all the cuts gm has already made on warrenty work

i think the biggest part of the crisis we're in has to do with the media getting everybody scared.

sorry guys, im not trying to argue with anybody, i just needed to vent alittle, and it helped

Force them all to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy, fire all the excutives making over $100,000/yr, tear up the union contracts and throw all the union officials in prison (they are not going to be out of work and will still get their full pensions and that is criminal) and THEN offer the companies bailout loans, to be repaid in 6 months, when they can show an acceptable plan to rebuild the company. Why negotiate or do business with the people who got the companies into this mess ??? [-X

My 2 cents !!

when will you be running for president mr doc.?

it kinda reminds me when the air traffic controllers kept pulling that crap of going on strike. it took acouple times, but they finially fired every one that went on strike. i think things will get better with the new president

I don't hate Pres. Bush, but I'm pretty sure he'll bail them out, and if he doesn't I KNOW Obama will. I know its a sad sad deal, but I don't think GM should be kept alive, they are in a place of no return with the unions. Glad I own my Avalon, and sad I own my Yukon XL!

Im not sure what to make of the situation. Im not really for the bailout, because it defeats the purpose of capitalism, but at the same time Im not sure what ramification it will have on the economy if they go under. :?