2-3-09 to 2-5-09 (Neds and Crappie)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
Wagamons Pond 2-3-09 Let it snow , let it snow , LET IT SNOW !! :)
Stayed up all night anticipating this morning and finally arrived at Wagamons at 9am .. It had been snowing since 6am with no accumulation with winds from the N to NW at 10 to 20 MPH with gusts to 25 and temps hovering around 37 degree's .
I had very high hopes and couldnt contain myself .
Rigged up a White/Chartruse Crappie Magnet on a 1/32 ounce White leadhead and put a 4" casting bobber 3 feet above the lure .. I then added a Splitshot to help in distance while casting. The winds were perfect .. Crosswind from the N to S made it hard to keep the bow out of your line but was just right for "Wind Drifting" ;) That means cast straight out and let the wind push the bobber along and watch very close for anything that is "odd" .. Like where did it go (You got a bite) :) or when the bobber starts swimming against the wind (You got a bite) :) or perhaps the bobber takes off with the wind at an abnormal rate of speed (Yepp You got a bite) :) .
It takes me 3 casts to get my line loose enough to get out to where I needed to be .. 70 + Feet and if you got farther than that you were in business .. So casts #4 ..
100_3364_00.jpg

100_3366_00.jpg

100_3367_00.jpg

Conditions ..
100_3365_00.jpg

It was all Neds after that for almost 1.5 hours and these were Females that were fattening up for the spawn .. He we go ... :)
100_3368_00.jpg

100_3369_00.jpg

100_3370_00.jpg

100_3371_00.jpg

100_3372_00.jpg

Holy crap :) I only had with me the 1 lure , 1 bobber and 1 splitshot and the camera and I wasnt going for the ruler but I think this one was over 13" ;) LMAO !
100_3373_00.jpg

2 Cow Neds in a row .. I had to get the ruler ;)
100_3374_00.jpg

An average fish ..
100_3375_00.jpg

Dont ya know I was getting hit every cast as long as I got out far enough .. Sometimes I would get the dreaded Helicopter Effect with the bobber and it might take 5 or 6 attemps to get out there , This is what I mean by every cast .. In the Zone .. Guaranteed atleast a bite !
So I jinxed myself but it wasnt all bad as the Crappie started to bite again and some nice Gills as well ..
100_3376_00.jpg

100_3377_00.jpg

Had quite a few people honk at me and a few stopped to ask if they were biting and I just smiled :)
Josh (fishforever) shows up and the bite is still decent .
100_3378_00.jpg

100_3380_00.jpg

100_3381_00.jpg

100_3382_00.jpg

100_3379_00.jpg

100_3383_00.jpg

Bonus ;) (Golden Shiner)
100_3385_00.jpg

100_3386_00.jpg

Josh after missing a few fish .. You really had to watch that bobber and strike fast :) He lands a few fish and then gets this Crappie with a blemish ??
100_3387_00.jpg

100_3388_00.jpg

Josh leaves for awhile but says he'll be back and 20 minutes later I get into a school of Crappie like this ..
100_3389_00.jpg

Landed around 10 Crappie and a few YP and had 4 Pickerel bite offs . While Josh was gone I moved about and changed colors 4 times .. Black/Chartruese got mostly Gills but also Crappie and YP .. White/Clear with blue flakes got the Pickerels attention and nothing else .. Solid Chartruese got everything but nothing in particular .. Clear/Chartruese with Black Flakes got Zippo ! Todays hot bait was the same as yesterday White/Chartrues .
Josh came back and we both picked at fish .. It was still a decent bite but had slowed up a lot by 3pm or so when Josh took off . I stayed and fished till 4pm Picking up a few more Fish .. By 3:45pm the bite had died .
Just for kicks I tried the other side of the spillway and landed 1 Pickerel in 15 minutes with no other bites .
100_3391_00.jpg

100_3392_00.jpg

100_3394_00.jpg

Conditions as I left ..
100_3390_00-1.jpg

I caught a lot of FISH :):)
Did I tell you I love fishing in the SNOW :) !

Wagamons Pond 2-4-09
I had to defrost the truck and then swung by and picked up Dockrat (Chris) at about 9am and we headed to the Pond . I got my wind/rain gear out and it was a block of ice from sitting out wet in my truck all night :) We had a bit of ice on the right hand side but barely any at all . The winds were from the NW at about 10 MPH but picked up to 20 MPH in about an hour and stayed that way .. It was a tad bit much but we managed a few fish .
I missed 3 fish and Chris takes the first blood ..
100_3396.jpg

Then he gets his first ever YP :)
100_3397.jpg

I finally land one ..
100_3398.jpg

Dang fish did about 8 doughnuts on top before taking to the depths .. Pretty funny to watch :)
100_3399.jpg

We moved to the left a few feet and got some nicer Crappie
100_3400.jpg

A few Gills ..
100_3401.jpg

And more YP ..
100_3404.jpg

It got dark for a bit and the snow fell .. It looked like fog coming at us ..
100_3402.jpg

100_3403.jpg

We found some Neds to play with ..
100_3405.jpg

100_3406.jpg

Josh (fishforever) shows up and we all catch fish here and there .. Josh with a "Snake Fish"
100_3407.jpg

The sun came out and the fish started to short strike .. It got tough for sure and we missed more than we caught .
Harry (oldsnow) showed up and chatted awhile before the cold ran him off :):) Always nice to see ya Harry !;)

We had to pack it in around noon .. Not bad for a few hours :)
100_3408.jpg

Same baits fish the same way .. Conditions were basically the same but temps were 15 degrees colder and the winds were 10 MPH stronger .
Josh and Chris .. Great as always to wet a line with you guys .

2-5-09 BONECHILLER (4 Locations)
I picked up Dockrat (Chris) at 9am and we hit Wagamons Pond . The wind was whipping at 20+ MPH from the NW and a little ice but 90 percent was open water . Bambeklr (Jeff) also showed up not long after we got there and we all tried but nothing was happening .. I think Chris missed the only bite .
We stayed and fished from 9:30am to 11:00am and decided to swing out back to the Broadkill . We met up with Jarjar (Paul) and was joined by Clam Man (Gene who will be a member as soon as I get this report done) . The 4 of us fished for about 45 minutes on an almost low and dropping tide .. The water was CRYSTAL clear and I did see some small 3" Gills patrolling the rocks but no one caught anything .
Dockrat and I decided to hit Seaford and Paul also came along. We fished from 12:30pm to 2pm and had quite a few bite and landed some fish as well . The tide was almost high so the fish were on the small side ;)
Me first to "break the ice" :)
100_3409.jpg

Then Chris get a Gill for his first of the day ..
100_3410.jpg

I got a tiny LMB ..
100_3411.jpg

A few Gills ..
100_3412.jpg

And some 5" Yellows then get this some what bigger LMB ..
100_3413.jpg

Paul was fishing the opposite side of the spillway and landed an 8" ish Yellow Perch for his first but he was too far for the pic ..
We changed locations to the Green Bridge and get into some more small YP and Gills while Chris walked to get a bite at the corner store . Chris comes back but doesnt really fish and Paul and I get a few more small Gills and YP .
We left the babies biting and headed back to Wagamons
100_3414.jpg

hoping the sun had warmed the water some and the fish would bite but again not 1 bite . We fished from 3pm to 4pm and Paul decided to hit Lavinia Pond at the back of Wagamons and Chris and I hit Diamond Pond .
It took about 20 minutes before I get this guy ..
100_3416.jpg

Chris takes one on a piece on worm ;)
100_3419.jpg

I get another ..
100_3420.jpg

Dead Turtle in the water ..
100_3417.jpg

Me trying to see my bobber :)
100_3418.jpg

I get 2 break off from decent fish and land a total of 4 YP and Chris end with 2 YP .
I was trying hard to get a Crappie as none were caught today and dont ya know it .. Last cast :)
100_3422.jpg

Well we made "The Last Cast" about a dozen times but the sun was gone and the bite was done .. I wish we had took the canoe out on Diamond first thing this morning !!
Anyhow it weird how the fish were biting at Diamond but not Wagamons .. The 2 Ponds are connected ??
Thats fishing I guess .
Bait was Crappie Magnets and 1.75" Fin"S" for me but caught nothing on the Fin"S" ..
Chris used the Crappie Magnets and a few worms .

Judah these are the worms you bought :) I'll give them back when I see ya :):) .

way to tear them up guys - I swear I think you guys talk to the fish to get them to bite.. must be how you wiggle your worm! Congrats

russ010 said:
way to tear them up guys - I swear I think you guys talk to the fish to get them to bite.. must be how you wiggle your worm! Congrats
:) I got that T-Shirt :)
Its not how deep you fish its how you wiggle your worm :)

Hengstthomas = The fish whisperer LMAO !
Thanks Russ !

All those yellow perch need to go on diets.
Wonder what they feed on that gets them so fat in the winter.
Great catching and reports.

Zum said:
All those yellow perch need to go on diets.
Wonder what they feed on that gets them so fat in the winter.
Great catching and reports.
:) They are fattening up for the spawn , Most of the belly is roe (eggs) . They feed on any small crustaceans , small baitfish , shrimp , crabs and crayfish , Most of these are feeding on small 1 to 2 inch Blue Gills ;)

I see the odd chain pickeral being caught.Do yours spawn early spring as well...ice barely out here for us.

Zum said:
I see the odd chain pickeral being caught.Do yours spawn early spring as well...ice barely out here for us.
We get Pickerel all through the cold months . Delaware has lots of Pickerel . The best bite for me has always been late Feb to early April depending on how bad the winter was . Yes they do spawn early spring ;)

Latest posts