big foot switches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhef

Reaction score
for the bguys running two trollers on transom do you need a switch for each troller or is there a way to make one work for both

One switch, properly wired, would work. However, you'd have to be certain you didn't draw too much current.

See if you can find the max amps for the switch, and the max amps for your two motors.

Personally, I'd gang two switches together. Much safer.

There's more than one way to skin the cat.

Richg99 is absolutely correct on how to see if one switch will carry the load by itself. And if so, that would be the ideal way to connect it. Power straight to the TM's (fused of course), with the bigfoot making/breaking the ground circuit (using a large enough conductor to carry the amp load for both TM's).

If it won't, and is something you are really wanting to do, there's always another way. You could setup a relay that will carry the load the switch might not be able to, then create a simple control circuit to make/break the ground that the bigfoot would normally make/break. I venture to say it could be done for around $20, not including the bigfoot switch. The coil on the relay would consume a small amount of power, nothing compared to the TM's though. The bigfoot switch would then tell the relay to open or close, and still retain the momentary function.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

PsychoXP18CC said:
There's more than one way to skin the cat.

Richg99 is absolutely correct on how to see if one switch will carry the load by itself. And if so, that would be the ideal way to connect it. Power straight to the TM's (fused of course), with the bigfoot making/breaking the ground circuit (using a large enough conductor to carry the amp load for both TM's).

If it won't, and is something you are really wanting to do, there's always another way. You could setup a relay that will carry the load the switch might not be able to, then create a simple control circuit to make/break the ground that the bigfoot would normally make/break. I venture to say it could be done for around $20, not including the bigfoot switch. The coil on the relay would consume a small amount of power, nothing compared to the TM's though. The bigfoot switch would then tell the relay to open or close, and still retain the momentary function.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
thanks, still brainstorming on this boat. kinda want to build another one . give me something to do while i wait on water temps to rise

Latest posts