Blown Motor Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadinger

Reaction score
Ok Tin Boaters, I need some advice! I just traded my 1436 tin boat and 15hp johnson for a 1993 tracker magna 19 center console. Everything is in excellent condition but the motor. While the previous owner was flushing it the ear muffs fell off and seized the johnson 115hp motor. Do you think I should have this motor rebuilt or sell the parts off of it and buy another used engine?

Attachments

• boat2.JPG
    boat2.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 848
Thanks, I figured I couldn't go wrong on the trade, it has an almost new galvonized trailer that is worth almost what my boat is worth

What year is the motor? Going solely by the tiny bits sticking up past the hull, the color looks almost like the post 2000 Johnsons. But not quite. Also, the shape suggests that the motor is closer to the '93 of the boat. Just not enough showing for me to really see.

I can't tell you if it is worth it or not without tearing it apart. Depends really what it needs. Sometimes, it just needs new pistons, rings, and to be bored larger, along with other minor things entailed with that. However, it may have a damaged crank as well, or cyl. head could be shot as well. You need to pull the heads, and see what exactly has been damaged. Also, how many cyls. have been damaged. Fortunately, because it is a two stroke, if for some reason only one cyl. died, you can repair that one, and not have to repair the other 3, like you would on a 4 stroke, as they are totally isolated from one another. Ask around at what some of the shops around charge for a 4 cyl. Johnson. It is going to be on up there. I saw one on a quick search that charges 2995 for a full powerhead rebuild, on a V4 Johnson Crossflow. Now, you can save money by doing most of the assembly work, and just shipping out the bare powerhead for resleeving/boring out.

Because it was an overheat problem due to the water pump, and not a lack of oil to one cyl. or something, my guess is the whole head needs rebuilding. Given that, I would be searching for a nice used V4 Johnny or Evinrude of a similar year, and swap them out. Around here, you can get a circa 1993 V4 (90 - 115 for the most part) for 2K all day long, and 1K - 1500 if you are willing to search a while. That is where I would be heading if I were you. If the year is real close to the same, you can keep your lower unit, which would then guarantee that it won't hit a rock or something, whereas if it matches, and you sell the old LU, Murphy will always make your old lower unit die. :shock:

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I will pull the heads and inspect before I make a decision. I am leaning towards buying a used motor from a dealer. I have seen many of them around here for around 2k. I think I could make some of the money back by parting out the bad motor. By the way the motor is a 1993 Tracker/Johnson 115hp. With all that said I think I will still come out ahead on the deal.

i'd love to have a boat like that, looks like a beast

I'd pull your spark plugs and stick a light in them and see if you can see any damage on top of the piston and walls. when your done squirt a good amount of pb blaster in there. it'll help when pulling the head off, if you decide too. I'd also let that pb blaster sit for an hour and try to manually turn the crank.

if you have the tools, you could get it done alot cheaper if you tore it apart yourself, baught a rebuild kit, and sent the head and crank to a machine shop to get measured. if it was a 4 stroke, i wouldnt bother with it, too many parts.

goodluck with it

I was able to pull off one of the heads the other day. one of the cylinder walls is scored and it looks like a pistion ring broke and came up through the side of the piston. at this point I believe I will part out this motor and buy another good used one.

Thanks