Boat for rough water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesecotec02

Reaction score
Iam looking to purchase a 2nd boat for bigger bodies of water. I have started fishing the chesapeake bay tributaries more and even the bay itself and on rough days its a wet ride on my alumacraft mv1648. My first thought was a fiberglass 17-18' center console but im wondering if their would be a suitable tin for my needs. I know lunds are used a great deal on the big lakes but there isnt a dealer anywhere nearby. Looking for either a center console or a side console with a full windshield and something that will pair well with w 90-115hp outboard. Anybody run a seaark with a 15deg hull or one of the alumacraft deep vee boats and stay dry in a 3' chop? Any other recommendations or should i just go fiberglass for my needs? I want to purchase new and stay under $25k.

My brother had a 17.5' Crestliner w/70hp Suzuki. It was a side console with a windshield. I was never in it on any really big water but in my experience it wasn't afraid of waves. I guess the freeboard is the trick but I don't know what it was on that boat.

I used to run a 19' SeaNymph (Lowes) with a deep V and set up as a CC w/ a 90 hp in both the Chessie and DE bay

Handled the steep chop really really well and was overall a great hull design

You will see lots of them used up on the Flats (Port Deposit - Turkey Point areas) as well as on the great lakes

It was a fairly dry boat overall as well

Thanks for the suggestions I will have to look into those. I would rather get a big tin than a fiberglass boat because its easier to take care of and easier to power.

There are plenty of deep v tins that should meet your needs. I would also take a look at the Alumacraft deep v's.
Some of the guys on "walleye central", that fish the great lakes, seem to like them.

Many of the old starcraft islanders were good big water boats, lots on lake erie and lake michigan where I have fished a lot. You can get them with I/O or outboard in 18 up to 24 ft or so I have seen. Good prices to be had on the old ones too, a 20 fter with a 4 cylinder I/O would be sweet.
Tim

Something at least 18ft and deep v. There are lots of factors that make a boat good for rough water. Hull design, seats ( style & placement for shock absorption ), & an out board of suitable horsepower for the boat. My dads boat a 19'6'' Skeeter SX 200 is a terrible rough water boat because it doesn't have a deep enough v it's too modified & doesn't slice through the waves that well. Also there comes a point when no boat is a match for rough water ( when things go from fun to scary ) so a little common sense will go a long way.

Went and looked at a few boats Ranger,G3, and war eagle. The rangers were nice but oit of my price range. G3 had one boat that seemed intersesting. It was a 1966 dlx its only a 6deg mod v but had 28" tall sides and a center console. I could see this boat doing double duty in the smaller waters and on the bay/susquehana flats and allow me to sell tjhe current rig. The war eagle had a 15deg v hull or a 12deg mod v depending on model and looked nice but got kinda pricey for an aluminum boat once you added all the options that came standard on the g3. Gonna go check out a alumacraft Bay model this weekend and see how it stacks up the specs on alumacrafts site dont say much.