Build a jet boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT

Reaction score
Well I've been kicking this around for some time , I was looking to build a jet boat out of a 16x48 or a 14x48 Alumacraft . Can anybody give some insite on this ?

Like the 16x48 I was looking at running a 50 /35 jet ?
Or the 14x48 I was looking a 35 / 20 jet ? Or maybe a 40 hp / jet ?
I'm just sure if I would be better off to go up to a bigger boat and motor or just start out with something a 14x48 and build the motor to get the max horse power out of it . Thanks JT

Please explain v , Do you mean modifed V hull or just a v hull .

Well I spoke to a fellow today and he had a 14x48 with a 30 hp jet on it , that he is selling because with 2 guys it does fine , when you add a 3rd guy it just don't work that good . That's why I was asking the question about going to a 16 x48 or something close to that and throwing a bigger motor at . It always goes back to more weight , more speed , more motor , A LOT MORE Money!!!!
I'm just trying to get my biggest bang for my buck .

I'd get a 40hp at least. Johnson/Evinrude OMC are great motors with the jet pumps. Yamahas don't do bad either, small mercs are dissapointing with a jet. 16'48" vs 14'48"? That's your call, wouldn't bother me to put a 40hp on either of them. I'd probably go with the 16'.

I was speaking to outboard jet corp, they said that I could get away with running a 50 hp on a 16x48 , And still be within horsepower limit of the boat with a jet because you lose about 30% of your horsepower with there jet . Do you know if 40 hp would put in a good around power range or would it be better to go to the 50hp ?

For the most part the 40hp and 50hp motors are the same motors but they have diffrent carbs on them. Easy swap only 4 nuts. I done it enough I could do it with my eyes closed. It only makes about a 1mph diffrence when your by yourself but it will help haul a load alot better. I buy which every one is the better deal and if it is the 40hp buy a set of 50hp carbs on ebay. If you want a 40hp or a 50hp I'd buy a 1990-up johnson/Evinrude OMC 2 cylinder. They're a 45 cubic inch motor you can buy them with internal tilt trim, which I thinks a must for an outboard jet. I've seen these motors run on boat like 17' 52" with 3-4 people and they still plane out. They're a dime a dozen, easy to work on and parts are cheap and easy to find. Try to find a short shaft so you'll only need the 22" transom.
Don't worry about over powering either of these boats. You can't do it with a 60hp let alone a 40hp, 50hp. We run highly modded 60hp johnsons on 16'48" around here with no problems. let me know if you have anymore questions.

16x48 It is , Now is it better to have the steering console center , or side or does it really matter ? And do you want to be in the middle of the boat front to rear ? I already thought that I would put my trolling motor battery up front , maybe a small live well in the center ? Is there any place I could see some different ideas of lay -outs ? I've search through here and found a few just asking is there any better lay-outs vs bad lay-outs ?

Side console in the back. Keep your weight towards the back and you'll have better top end speed. But to much wieght in the back and they're a bear to plain out.
Personally if I was settin up a boat to fish out of I would have a 48" deck witha 15" extension that flips up, a removable pedestal seat in the center. I'd have a bench across the back with two live wells/box in front of the beches with your seats mounted on them. You might put a flip up lid on the bench for some storage. You can buy consoles with a storage boxs built in infront of them.

I think Lil Blue Rude is trying to describe something like mine. Mine is a 17/52 but 16/48 will work. This is only 1 layout.

Attachments

• P2200029.JPG
    P2200029.JPG
    513.1 KB · Views: 2,185
  • P2200026.JPG
    P2200026.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 2,185
  • P2200028.JPG
    P2200028.JPG
    520.7 KB · Views: 2,185
I run a 90 yamerhamer on my 1648. It plains out with 3 to 4 adults in about 50 yds from a dead stop. We've modded it up to about 110 horse but havent had it in the water yet. I think a 60/40 would be a good reasonable motor for you.

I have heard several times that anything smaller than a 50 with a jet on it is a pooch.

Yep, moelkhunter's boat is about the setup I was talking about. It's a nice setup for fishing and boat riding. It wouldn't be a real heavy boat.
As for anything smaller then a 50hp being a pooch, I'll disagree. I'd bet money I got a 40hp evinrude your 110hp Yamahamer won't come close to touching :mrgreen: Your right the 60/40 would have some more power but on a 16' 48" setup to fish the 40hp wouldn't be a bad motor, 40hp would be better on gas and it wouldn't be that big of a performance diffrence. Either way I'd stick to omc or yamaha. If you go for the 3 cylinder omc make sure to get the 56cu in motor because the49 cu in are dogs with a jet pump. the 56cu where made from 86-01.

Cool jet , I really do like the set-up . I'm was just trying to get my ducks in a row too start this build off on the right foot . I'm a Omc fan for sure I've had them on fishing boats for at least 10 years now and not once has one of them left me stranded on the water anywhere . I have a 30 hp Omc right now I'll see if I can use this for some trading material . Or to put toward a 40hp or bigger motor .

This is an off the wall question , How do you find out if you are aloud to a jet on a stream or river ? Are there any streams or rivers where you live that you are not aloud to have a jet boat on?

We can run about anywhere here in Misourri, we have some hp limit on some parts. 40hp some places and 25hp in others. For the most parts if we can get a boat in we can run it. You might check your local laws.

John, where are you going to run? Around here about the only limit is water depth. I think the whole Potomac is speed limited to 35mph or so but the DNR don't run jet boats

Jamie

I was checking today with WV Dnr and they was going to send a booklet with river and streams that I was aloud to run a jet on . One river that I was looking to run is the New River in southern Wv . I have a buddy that lives out around Harrisburg Pa , which is the Susguehanna River , Plus local lake and rivers like Ohio . I know I don't need a jet for the big O .

If you are going to be fishing the New or especially the Susquehanna, you may want to consider getting a hull with at least a 1/8 bottom. For those rivers I would also recommend some type of forward console so you can see the rocks and ledges. You can tear a boat up real quick on those rivers.

Scott

Let see some pictures , do you have forward controls in your boats ? That may be a really good idea . Do you run these river on a regular bases? I was trying to find out if there any more then 1 boat launch on the New ( Thurman was the only DNR could think of ) .

Go to Jamesriverjets.com Snyderboats.com or Rockproofboats.com to see a variety of forward consoles or forward stick steer boats. I believe G3 makes a 18' center console boat that was designed by one of the dealers on the Susquehanna for the Susquehanna. You could look at that too. Mine is just a standard stand up forward center console. I drive standing up. I used to run the Susky all the time but now live in Virginia and run the James and New in Virginia.

Scott

Is it better to buy a motor with a jet already on it from the factory or if I would find and a motor an add a jet to it ? Would it have better performance or about the same . I have never been around a jet to know , I have looked through some of the other threads and seen where some of the guys want only factory built motor and others just add a jet to there own motor . Got any insite on this ?

Hey do any of you guys run sponson on the back of your boat ?