Carp Guard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhos

Reaction score
So I took my boat out on its maiden voyage yesterday... on the Mississippi river. I was trying to familiarize myself with the boat so I wasn't really fishing, but I did manage to catch an asian carp (about 10 lb.er) to the shoulder. So, I was thinking that if I am to take the kids with me on the rivers around here, I should really have some sort of protection against the carp. I'm thinking about building a net/guard, sort of like those square practice sporting (soccer, baseball, etc) nets that are tubing frame with netting, that I can place in front of the console that will span the width of the boat and be tall enough to protect the console/electronics and passengers, maybe 2-3 feet above the gunnel. Also has to be strong enough to deflect a 50 lb. carp when the boat is traveling at 20-25 mph. I'm just starting to brainstorm and would like some ideas on a quick attach/detach method for the frame. Some novel ideas about what to do with it while it's not in active position would be welcome too.

If you don't know what I'm talking about regarding asian carp, google it, it's pretty entertaining to watch some of the videos. I had heard about them, but seeing it in person (and getting hit by one) is pretty wild.

You have probably thought of this already. If you angle it, it will deflect them hopefully out of the boat. You might could make one incorporating the seat mount and attach it to the sides somehow. If you have cleats on each side, you might could tie a rope to each end to make it stable and let a pole going into the seat mount take the blow when its hit.

Just thinking,

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 620
Excellent idea regarding using the seat mount, hadn't though of that yet. I think I'd rather catch them than deflect out of the boat though, they make good catfish bait when cut up :) I also hear they're not bad eating, the jumping variety anyway...

WW, they come from everywhere, they just seem to dart for the surface at whatever angle they were at if a boat comes within 20-30 feet. Going 20-25 or faster, I'd only be concerned about those coming over the bow or close to it. I plane around 18, so if I'm not going at least that fast, I'm idling and I don't need the guard.

I've got an aluminum-frame free-standing porch swing waiting for big-trash day, so I'll probably try butchering the A-frames and cross-members from that, and add a net and a lower crossmember with a pin to anchor into the front for mid-ship seat mount, maybe some velcro straps to keep it from bouncing/blowing out.

I'VE GOT IT. OK I'm board. Make a soccer goal. It sits in the seat holder and two runners or feet for stability. Maybe a strap to the front. Have a good size belly in the bottom and it will catch them so they won't flop out. It's the Carp Catcher 2000 patent pending, Just kidding.

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 620
I like it, though I'm gonna try the A-frames first for the sides instead of an inverted T, simply because I already have a pair. You know, I did google a little and was surprised to NOT find any kind of commercial offering for this sort of thing, so don't laugh that much yet, I see opportunity there... CarpGuard (tm) has a nice ring to it.... :)

Dirtbike gear, helmet, chest-protector, goggles, pads :wink: .........and a catchers mit :mrgreen:

ST

Problem solved.....

nightmare7a.jpg

Seriously though,
How about a duck blind type set up? Foldable for storage...
Good luck with whatever you do. I'd hate to think what a 50 pounder could do to a kid at 20+mph.

Nice, a little bit out of the range of my budget for this mod though lol :)

My current thought is that I could use a nice, high rod holder on the stern for river fishing, so I'm going to try to come up with a combination CarpGuard/rod holder. That way it will actually be useful when not in carpGuard formation instead of just being in the way, kill-2-birds-with-1-stone kind of thing, just move it to the stern for some trolling, catfishing, then move it back to the bow for the sprint between holes or back to the ramp.

Its a great idea, but keep in mind its gonna have to be sturdy. If you are going 20 mph and a 15 pound fish coming the other way hits it, thats gotta have a lot of force.

Latest posts