Catfish surprise

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based almost entirely on location, those are almost definitely channel cats. There's actually a formula you can use to approximate the weight of a catfish that I found a while back and it's actually pretty accurate and I use it on the fly I don't have proper weight gear:

Weight = ((X/Y)^3) * 2.3
Y = the length of an average 2 lb fish
X = the length of your fish

I know this looks complicated, but bear with me - if we estimate that a catfish weighs 2 pounds at approximately 15" we plug that in as our Y value, then by looking at the fish I'd guess it to be about about 28", so we have 28/15 = 1.87; take that ^3 (or cubed) and that gives us 6.54; take that * 2.3 = 15.042 for a weight estimate. It's a lot of work for an estimate, but it's surprisingly accurate once you peg the average length to weight of a 2 pound fish in your area.

Based on my life experience catching catfish, I'd say those look 15-20 pounds as the range and if left to guessing only, I'd guess at 17 pounds.

Very nice catches for sure! =D> =D> =D>

one100grand said:
Based almost entirely on location, those are almost definitely channel cats. There's actually a formula you can use to approximate the weight of a catfish that I found a while back and it's actually pretty accurate and I use it on the fly I don't have proper weight gear:

Weight = ((X/Y)^3) * 2.3

I know this looks complicated, but bear with me - if we estimate that a catfish weighs 2 pounds at approximately 15" we plug that in as our Y value, then by looking at the fish I'd guess it to be about about 28", so we have 28/15 = 1.87; take that ^3 (or cubed) and that gives us 6.54; take that * 2.3 = 15.042 for a weight estimate. It's a lot of work for an estimate, but it's surprisingly accurate once you peg the average length to weight of a 2 pound fish in your area.

Based on my life experience catching catfish, I'd say those look 15-20 pounds as the range and if left to guessing only, I'd guess at 17 pounds.

Math is not a fishing related activity!

Captain Ahab said:
Maybe not in your area and certainly not for me very often, but every once in a blue moon, I have to count my catches to make sure I don't go over the limit. So there is minor math involved for me. :mrgreen:

Captain Ahab said:
one100grand said:

Weight = ((X/Y)^3) * 2.3

You're right, but fishing IS a math related activity!

Latest posts