Charging with a single charger over a dual built in charger?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10sne1

Reaction score
I have an on board dual charger for my 2-12v batteries i.e. 24v troller. I am not sure if the charger is working correctly. Question: can I take a 12v battery charger and hook up to one of the 12v batteries, with out removing the terminals leading to the dual charger. I wish to charge each 12v battery separately, until I can trouble shoot the dual charger? But do not wish to mess up the dual charger. I will not have the dual charger plugged in while using the 12v single battery charger. PS, the pair of batteries are new. Can I use the 12v charger without harming the dual charger? Thanks

yes, be sure your battery switch (if you have one) is set to "all" so that the single charger charges all your batteries

I would be cautious applying current to the on board charger that's in question. You should have fuses inline between battery and charger, so I would pull those fuses to prevent current backflow to the charger not being used.

Also, to troubleshoot the charger in question, simply use a digital multimeter in serious to measure current. Plug in the onboard charger in question, and remove the fuse. Connect the red test lead to the battery, and the other to the end of the wire going to the charger. You should see amperage there, but it may take several minutes to see the current.

mbweimar said:
I would be cautious applying current to the on board charger that's in question. You should have fuses inline between battery and charger, so I would pull those fuses to prevent current backflow to the charger not being used.

Also, to troubleshoot the charger in question, simply use a digital multimeter in serious to measure current. Plug in the onboard charger in question, and remove the fuse. Connect the red test lead to the battery, and the other to the end of the wire going to the charger. You should see amperage there, but it may take several minutes to see the current.

You might end up frying your meter doing this also. Many VOMs are only rated to 1 amp.

Tim

Latest posts