Cleaning out an older gas tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmounter

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Evinrude 4 hp "Lightwin" thats in pretty good shape, that I will be working on soon, but I want to clean out the inside of the 3 gallon gas tank that came with the motor. Is there a chemical or carb cleaner that I should put in the tank to help clean out the old fuel and oil deposits?

Well I don't know about any chems that they make for that, but I have a friend that worked at a motorcycle shop and they would pour something like WD-40 and a pack of BB's inside the tank then shake them around. That cleaned out all the rust and debri from the tank. It worked really well.

you can go to automotive parts dealer. They have kits used to clean out old car gas tanks from rust and other buildup. After cleaning has a compund to put inside and seal inside to prevent further problems.
It's not cheap, we have used it in restoring old tractors.
I believe kit we got was around $60.

When your done with the ammon. and BB's, rinse it real good with hot water, then rerince with a bottle of isoheat (automotive fuel treatment) to remove the excess water. This is the way I have done many small engine and outboard tanks in the past.

Just toss a light match in!

6a00d8341c562c53ef014e605d7d3c970c-800wi

Latest posts