Coyote Hunting Rifle?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ray55classic said:
Either of these calibers will kill anything on the continent. If the coyotes are all in a row the "06" with a fmj would probably penetrate 15 or 16 coyotes ,the 7mm fmj would probably go through 16 or 17 of them.with either I garantee you won't be lacking in knockdown power. If your under 100yds try a .22 long rifle. I've killed quite a few with a .22 shooting stingers ,they've got a pretty lightly constructed body. It's like any hunting shot placement is a lot more important than caliber........Ray
I've got a Mossberg 640K in 22mag and soon to have a Ruger 44mag carbine that I will use for under 100 yard shots. I also wear a Dan Wesson 357 on my hip in case their real close.

Quackrstackr said:
Killing coyotes over bait in the daylight is usually pretty slim odds.

Get yourself an electronic call and call them in. You will probably have a lot better results.

So far as the caliber, at 100 yards or less either of those is overkill for a coyote so shoot whichever you are most comfortable with and have the most ammo for.
I have the cass creek calls and the cass creek power horn. The power horn is great, I need to get an mp3 player and down load some better sounds.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I've got a Mossberg 640K in 22mag

Perfect for coyotes if you can get close at all. A lot of people don't realize that some 22 mag ammo has more energy at 100yds than a 22 lr at the muzzle.

Quackrstackr said:
Killing coyotes over bait in the daylight is usually pretty slim odds.

Get yourself an electronic call and call them in. You will probably have a lot better results.

So far as the caliber, at 100 yards or less either of those is overkill for a coyote so shoot whichever you are most comfortable with and have the most ammo for.

+1. I have killed many a coyote with an electronic call or even a hand call if you dont have an electronic available. I used a 30-06 for years before I got my 22-250. Be very mindful of wind direction. They will spook easily at the first scent they dont recognize or think belongs.

There is no degree of dead !! use what u feel comfortable with and use calls, one of u guys need to have a shotgun for close up and personal shots, a 3 inch 12 ga with # 4 buck will do the trick out to about 75 yards

riverracer said:
There is no degree of dead !! use what u feel comfortable with and use calls, one of u guys need to have a shotgun for close up and personal shots, a 3 inch 12 ga with # 4 buck will do the trick out to about 75 yards
Good point RiverRacer , safer at night and about 41 times more likely to hit a moving coyote than a single rifle bullet at those ranges.

I would go with the 742 since its semi automatic which will give a quicker second shot than working the bolt on the model 700. Like has been said before at that range either one will do just fine.

My favorite yote gun is .204
here a few SD coyote that met their demise, which I had part in.
32332Picture002.jpg

32332DSCF1571.JPG

32332IMG_0684.jpg

Latest posts