Crimping and connecting wires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great article. I have never liked crimped connections and mostly because of the cheap crimpers and fittings. It would be a outlay of a good chunk of change to get the tools he is using and for someone that does more wiring then I do that's probably a great idea.

Here is how I do it. I use the cheap fittings and I pull the plastic insulation off. Next I solder the fitting to the wire and then use shrink tubing for the insulation. I prefer solder over crimping. I am sure that I would be more then satisfied with those marine crimp fittings but I already own a solder gun so I will likely stick with what I am doing.

If I am doing a connection that just ends up being easier to use a wirenut I still solder the connection. I solder the connection, use the wire nut (more as a cap) and then fill the wire nut with silicone or 3m waterproof sealant.

Great article CA. I now want to go back and redo the connections on my boat since I own and used the cheap hardware store krimper :oops:

I'm glad I only have 4 connections on my boat, but I a firm believer of solder and shrink tubing. :)