Depth Finder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hummingbird that I had on my last boat, said in the instructions that I could epoxy it to the hull and it would read through. It did say that the temp would not be as sensitive being that it is hull mounted. My best advice is to download the install manual of the units you are looking into and see if they can be in hull mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a link to one of the hummingbird manuals with in hull transducer mounting.

https://www.humminbird.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2939

nick1169 said:
Here's a link to one of the hummingbird manuals with in hull transducer mounting.

https://www.humminbird.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2939

Thank you. I appreciate the help and route.

Since this is Tinboats and you said riveted hull I assume you are wanting to put this on an aluminum boat. I do believe that the thru hull transducer is only usable on a fiberglass hull. The link to the instructions from hummingbird states for a fiberglass hull. I recently went to a new depth finder and I used one of the plastic transducer mounts on the back of my boat. It does require 2 holes thru the transom, but then you mount your transducer to the plastic board without going thru the transom, so you can mount several transducer to same board, or if you have to move the transducer after mounting, it can be done easily without putting more holes in your transom. I have not had any issues so far with it and it has been mounted about 1 month so far.

I know there is portable mounts for like kayaks and canoes which may work for you, not sure of the consistency of signal on your depth finder with a removal mount. Maybe someone who has used one on a canoe or boat will chime in with some useful information for you on those....:)

Read the instructions from Humminbird in that link - recommended for single hull fiberglass construction - I haven't heard of any thru-hull transducers that work with aluminum hulls b/c the density of the aluminum is so different from the water it distorts the signal.

I have seen people epoxy a board to the transom & attach the sensor to the board rather than pierce the hull.

FormerParatrooper said:
Is there a depth finder I can install on a riveted boat that does not require putting any holes in the hull?

Install the transducer on a board and clamp the top to the hull.

A homemade transducer bracket similar to the portable one. Have this same setup on two boats and no problem, and yes, it's the bottom of an aluminum crutch! LOL

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,300
I appreciate the ideas. And yes, it is an aluminum boat, a MirroCraft F4604 from 1979. A simple, no frills little 14 footer. No leaks, no major dents and seemed well cared for. I have a Johnson 9.5 HP (1967) on it and a old trolling motor by Minn Kota. Doing some modifications to it, as well as changing that awful 1970's lime green color. Once I get it along and progressing will post on the modifications thread.

overboard said:
A homemade transducer bracket similar to the portable one. Have this same setup on two boats and no problem, and yes, it's the bottom of an aluminum crutch! LOL

Now where I come from that called hillbilly engineering :D and I am considered a hillbilly due to my aversion to things like shoes and store bought food. I have some 1 5/8 Aluminum uni strut that I could adapt to that idea.

I am also more geared to knowing depth rather than finding fish on it. One of the places I fish is a recovered coal surface mine and has areas from ankle deep to 65 foot deep.

Here is another avenue you may like....see how he mounted his bow mount transducer.....https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=413104#p413104

I found this, meets most of what i want I think, known brand name ( I have used their vehicle GPS ), not high priced and few bells and whistles, plus can mount to my trolling motor...https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/inland_fishing/fishfinders/striker-4/prod528812.html#gallery-dialog

Anyone use this one?

There is also a product called Transom Saver that attaches to the transon using a proprietary epoxy. It's made of Starboard and is intended to be used to attach a transducer mount. It sells for around $50 in the big box stores. I thin it's pricey, but it will do what you want. West System makes an epoxy called G-Flex that I'm told will also attach Starboard and I've seen it in use but have never used it. By the time you buy a piece of Starboard and the epoxy, add your time for cutting and attaching, it's probably just as easy and cheap to use the kit.

I use humminbird fishin buddy 120. I like the portability with it and ease of use. I bought a tinny for the simple no maintenance approach to being on the water. If I'm slow trolling, I mount it in the back. If I'm casting off the front deck, I move it there. No wires to run and when I'm done for the day put it in the truck. Just my .02 but I'm happy with it.

An inexpensive depth sounder has not a lot of power and likely operates around 200KHz. The return pulse on a really good set up is very weak as most of the signal is absorbed into the environment. If you are going to kick it in the teeth trying to pass signals through a metal boat hull, better spend some serious money and go 50KHz. All you will get is bottom returns because the signal returned will still be awful. Mount the transducer for best performance outside the hull, don't hit it with anything and don't paint it. Drift over your spot with engine off and shade the display from the sun.

Latest posts