Detent ball on old evinrude?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putback

Reaction score
I'm disassembling & checking an old evinrude, 28202 c, '62 28hp, pull start/manual shift. The gear case looks fine except there's no sign of a detent ball/spring. It appears the prop shaft assembly is machined where one could go. An old manual shows 2 diagrams, one with, one with out. Parts diagram on marine engine.com does not show one. Anyone have an answer?

If its usefull to anyone I found the answer in an older manual. The detent was a conversion offered to insure it remained in gear. Apparently mine was converted and someone at some time left the ball/pin out.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363866#p363866 said:
putback » August 19th, 2014, 9:00 pm[/url]"]If its usefull to anyone I found the answer in an older manual. The detent was a conversion offered to insure it remained in gear. Apparently mine was converted and someone at some time left the ball/pin out.

I know mine didn't have the detent balls. I'm not sure if the prop shaft was
drilled for it or not, but I doubt it. I agree, put them in since you have the option.

Latest posts