Did I install my water pump backwards?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.B.

Reaction score
Here's what I got. I have a 1977 Johnson 25 hp outboard. About a year ago I put a new water pump in it and it sat on the stand until yesterday when I gave it a test again. My motor runs fine but I dont seem to get a steady pee stream. I understand on this motor it doesn't have your typical pee hole. What I get is a little bit of spit coming out with the exhaust and on the front side of the shaft just above water line there are two small holes that water comes out facing the transom. For the life of me I can't' remember if this is how it was before I did the water pump. Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to do it again and flip it over? Thanks for your help.

Ok first of all why do you think your pee hole is different? I had to ask.... :lol: Now that the fun is over, you should have an overboard indicator (peehole) elbow that comes out of your exhaust housing with a tube on it that leads over to the other side of the motor behind the shift lever. Second, impellers are usually designed to go in one way and one way only. The keyway hole in it prevents it from being put on upside down. Did you run the motor after you replaced the impeller a year ago to check water flow? You have an exhaust port (2holes) on the back of the midsection/exhaust housing about 6 inches or so under the lower engine cover, water and exhaust fumes should spit out from there. Also there is 2 holes in the front of the midsection down by the rubber housing mounts that you can see water and exhaust dribbling from.

So the question is, did you run it on muffs or in a barrel? How much water was coming out of the overboard indicator at idle? Did the stream steady as RPM went up?

Thanks for the help guys, I ran it again and the pump seems to be working ok, I have a couple of newer ouyboards and they have a dedicated pee hole that is seperate from the exhaust so things looked differnt with the sputtering of the exhaust and the water together. thanks again for your input/help.

Thanks for the help guys, I ran it again and the pump seems to be working ok, I have a couple of newer ouyboards and they have a dedicated pee hole that is seperate from the exhaust so things looked differnt with the sputtering of the exhaust and the water together. thanks again for your input/help.

Latest posts