Different kind of mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmelton

Reaction score
First of all, I wanna say I have really enjoyed seeing the mods you fellas have been posting here. I have gotten manu ideaw here, and I just want to share my build with yall.

I have a 1448 rivited Alumacraft that I am turning into a Duck/Turkey killing machine. I may catch a few hybrids out of it to this spring when the turkey humting is slow. I will be running a 76 25hp Evenruide and a 65lb minkotta off the transom.

I stole this boat from my father n law, because he just let it go. It had a 4' pine groing in it when I got ahold of it. I didnt start takingpics until after I yanked the carpet out.

Attachments

• boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,254
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,254
I used a wire brush, and a cord drill to get off all the glue, and other nastiness on the boat. Also, cut out the middle bench out.

Attachments

• boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 1,250
  • boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,250
Yesterday I ran the gas line, and started the electrical. I will build my own panel out of a 10x10x6 pvc enclosure. It will have bat switches for nav, anchor, and interior lights. It will also have a 12v plug in for w beams, and phone chargers. I used an old 12ga extension cord to run the power to yhe nav lights and anchor lights. My run led rope lights for the interior lihhts, not sure yet.

Attachments

• IMG-20130302-00003.jpg
    IMG-20130302-00003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,245
This week I am picking up a 10'x4' pice of 1/8" Al to screw to the ribs. I will then use some 1x1 al angle to keep the gastank from sliding, willdo the same with the battery if I decide to put it up front. Once the floor is in I will use sprqy can bedliner on the deck.

Looks like a nice hull to start your project. Have fun!
Better paint it black with brown feathers, so you can sneak up on those Mountain Chickens!

That'll make a nice Rig!
When you said there was a 4' tree growin in it I was thinking he may have a problem..lol
But then I realized you meant inside of it.

Need some opinions.

Would you knotch the Al decking to fit around the ribs, or should I just cut it down to fit inside the ribs? I am concerned about the decking possibly cutting into the side of the boat over time?

Notch it and put a car door weatherstrip around the edges. That actually works/looks very good. Or you could leave the floor 1/8ths short and screw/rivet it down to the ribs to keep it moving against the sides.

hoosier78 said:
Notch it and put a car door weatherstrip around the edges. That actually works/looks very good. Or you could leave the floor 1/8ths short and screw/rivet it down to the ribs to keep it moving against the sides.

I like this idea! :beer:

Here is the little panel box I made. I'm in the electrical distribution business, so I used what I could find for free. I used 2 Eaton isolated ground bars for the buss. 1 for the positive, 1 for the negative. I'm going to add 1 more bat switch for the interior lights, and add a momentary push button for the horn.

Attachments

• boatenclosure1.jpg
    boatenclosure1.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 1,007
  • boatenclosure2.jpg
    boatenclosure2.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 1,007
This is the Al deck I layed in this weekend. I didn't get to notch like I wanted. The rear bracing is 47" wide, and that would still leave a gap. So, I'm going to spray great stuff underneath to seal up the gap, and give it a little more floatation.boatdeck1.jpg

Now, I'm on to painting the deck with Rustoleom bedliner spray. The rest of the boat will be smoke gray. I thought about the camo, but I don't want to spend the time nor the money on the stencils.

Shmelton said:
Now, I'm on to painting the deck with Rustoleom bedliner spray. The rest of the boat will be smoke gray. I thought about the camo, but I don't want to spend the time nor the money on the stencils.

I've never used the bedliner in a boat. But, I've seen numerous people comment that they were not happy with the durability of it.

Shmelton said:
This is the Al deck I layed in this weekend. I didn't get to notch like I wanted. The rear bracing is 47" wide, and that would still leave a gap. So, I'm going to spray great stuff underneath to seal up the gap, and give it a little more floatation.
Great Stuff is not closed cell foam and will retain water. You should use closed cell foam for that. Search for "closed cell foam" and you'll find lots of posts.