Docks out Arghhh

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy H

Reaction score
Removed the stall mats and rigid insulation from the floor on my new to me Alumacraft 1542. The boats a 2019 and like new but my plan was to run it a mile down the road splash it in the small 30 acre lake there and check for any kind of leaks though I’m 99.9 percent sure there are none. Plus I just wanted to float around a bit. Finally got a nice day rolled down there and docks out and ramp is chained off. SUCKS! Still gonna stick my new floor in using the old rigid insulation and a much lighter 3/8th rubber for the new floor. Can remove it in 5 minutes if need arises. Light is the way to go because it’ll be my electric restricted lakes boat. Gonna be doing a few mods I’ll post up in the future.
Docks Out arghh

Hear ya, we have had a few really nice days that could have turned into fishing trips but ramps are closed for the season. Around here, they pull the floating docks and park them across the ramps so you can't back in. I can load and unload my 16' tinnie without a dock but do need the ramp. Winter sucks !!

Is this because of concerns about ice?
Yes, if the ice freezes around the floats then the water/ wind blows out, it can tear the docks out along with the ice. Most marinas here in Ohio along Lake Erie remove as much of the dock supports as possible to prevent ice damage. When I was a young lad a local river overflowed its banks, then it froze big time ! When the wind changed and the water receded it took everything the ice touched from mobile homes to taking houses off their foundations.

They pull the docks around Halloween here. Doesn't really bother me not having a dock but they stop maintaining the ramps during winter and after the first good rain that brings the river up a few feet the ramps are a greasy river mud covered mess once it recedes untill March when they come clean em up. Winter sucks!

The one lake I fish frequently pulls the docks but they still allow access to the ramps. Wasn’t worth the drive for a ten minute float. Last year we never had more than an inch or so of ice. Ice fishing here is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Iowa DNR pulls docks beginning in late October through November. You can still use ramps if you want, at least until the ice comes in. This year, ice isn't an issue; water level is. With the long term drought, ramps are becoming problematic and ramps in some lakes are closed since they're unusable. Looks like the drought will continue hard through the winter; I'm concerned that some of my favorite lakes will be unreachable.

I went fishing at a farm pond a couple weeks ago and had a great time. Caught enough crappie for a decent dinner, and a few small bass that were fun. My buddy caught a 4.25 pound catfish. The water was low, but my buddy and I used his small 10' plastic boat with a 30# troller. We were able to back his utility trailer to water's edge and slide the boat off the trailer. Some of the farm ponds are real gems and some very nice fish come out of them. The real trick is getting the needed permission to fish those pieces of water.

I am fortunate enough to have ny own pond, bass, bluegill and catfish. We use selective cath and release to control population. Kinda like having a big aquarium but lots more work. It does sarisfy my fishing urge when I can't get my boat out. It has been fun for the grandkids and young neighbor kids to see them catch a 3 lb bass on a Barbie fishing pole !! Unfortunately they are all grown up now, but the memories are still there...

We have a small half acre pond but it has just enough ice on top a jig and grub won't Penetrate to soft water. Its only stocked with bluegills minnows and crayfish though. It was really shallow untill 2 years ago I took our old backhoe and dug it as far down as I could reach from the bank. Maybe one day I'll rent a big track hoe for a week and make it bigger.

Iowa DNR pulls docks beginning in late October through November. You can still use ramps if you want, at least until the ice comes in. This year, ice isn't an issue; water level is. With the long term drought, ramps are becoming problematic and ramps in some lakes are closed since they're unusable. Looks like the drought will continue hard through the winter; I'm concerned that some of my favorite lakes will be unreachable.

Last year water levels out here were so low a lot of ramps were out of the water. On one of my favorite lakes one place had a temporary ramp. Even with that, one time the trailer wheels were off the end of the ramp in order to retrieve the boat.

Here is a pic of one of the high & dry ramps from last year.

ramp.png