drive shaft came out of lower unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webrx

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1977 johnson 9.9 and when seperating the lower unit from the upper to replace the impeller, the shaft came out of the lower unit instead of from the head.

It appears it was rusted into the head unit, and I was able to remove it with some penetrating oil and a bit of wiggling.

After removing the water pump, I was able to slide the shaft back into the lower unit, and reassemble with new parts (upper seal was definitely shot along with the two o-rings.

So, my question is, everything appears to be all back together, but, seems to me there was supposed to be something more than the upper seal that held the drive shaft into the lower unit. Looking at the drawings there does not appear to be any set screw or anything like that, so, since it went back in, and everything appears to be working - prop rotates by hand turning the shaft, am I good to go in reassembling everything or do I need to tear into this a bit deeper?

Sorry for the newbie question, I have replaced a bunch of impellers but never had the drive shaft come out of the lower before, and never tried to remove it before.

Thanks

Dave

Found a post about a stuck drive shaft in head and a comment stating reinsert it and good to go. so, I think I am good to go.

Just an aside on this if you have rust in the head where the drive shaft splines go in, I cleaned the rust out of mine with a rifle cleaning rod, some penetrating oil and some cotton patches.

Thanks

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365297#p365297 said:
SumDumGuy » 03 Sep 2014, 12:24[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365227#p365227 said:
webrx » 02 Sep 2014, 16:39[/url]"]... reinsert it and good to go. so, I think I am good to go.

Yes.

make sure the pin in your impeller didn't fall into the bottom of housing like mine did

With the water pump assembled to the gearcase the shaft should not have slid out at all.
The impeller holds the key into the flat on the driveshaft and will not allow the shaft to slide out of the pump housing.......unless forced.
If it was forced out and down then I am hoping you replaced the damaged pump parts. If unsure, inspect.

absolutely, new waterpump housing, key, impeller, seals, o-rings, etc.

Don't want to have to take her down twice if I can avoid it.

She is a sweet running little 9.9, but was not generating a lot of water out of the tell tale, which is why I tore it down for a waterpump/impeller repair.

Thanks for the advice.

d

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365323#p365323 said:
Pappy » 03 Sep 2014, 19:17[/url]"]With the water pump assembled to the gearcase the shaft should not have slid out at all.
The impeller holds the key into the flat on the driveshaft and will not allow the shaft to slide out of the pump housing.......unless forced.
If it was forced out and down then I am hoping you replaced the damaged pump parts. If unsure, inspect.

it bent my pump housing ..with kroil oil big vice grips and hammer I got shaft out of the crank