Electro-Etching Aluminum to make engraved switch panels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottphillips208

Reaction score
Just curious, have any of you tried to make "engraved" labels on switch panels using electrolysis? Normally I know we try to avoid such galvanic reactions like the plague, but it seems like it would be an easy way to label switches and make placards. In addition to labeling a switch panel I've yet to build, a previous owner of my boat in his infinite wisdom drilled a whole smack dab in the middle of my boat's USCG capacity plate - was thinking I might try make a replacement one myself with this etching technique.

Here's a link to what I have in mind:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Electro-Etch-a-Solid-Metal-Plaque/?ALLSTEPS

Thanks,

Scott

interesting. on soft metals like aluminum, you can get similar results with just using the vinyl template and a sandblaster with coarse media.

GOOGLE up engraved or etched metal plates - or use the company you found already
to make it for you.
As a sign maker, I have made the artwork for literally hundreds of these things from 1"x2" up to 2' x3'.
But never made them myself. I always sent the artwork to a company and they made them for me.
Select a company that specializes in what you want - then let them do it for you.
In the long run, it will be MUCH CHEAPER ......

I really don't recommend this as a DIY project if you want it done correctly the first time.
All you have to do is take some GOOD photos of the plate and email it to the company.
In a few days, you will have your new plate back.
I would be more than glad to help you with the artwork if you send me a photo.
I tried the Chrome Plating stuff to plate my own door and window handles for a 1930 Buick I restored.
you can really mess up some stuff in that learning curve !!!!

Johnny

I'm looking at having a new ID plate for my trailer laser engraved.

I haven't had much free time to explore this idea, but tonight I was able to successfully etch aluminum using supplies that I had on hand.

Here's an example of a labeled switch plate I turned out for my jet sled project. I used a vinyl stencil cut on a Silhouette Portrait as the resist, and electro-etched it with a car battery and a salt water solution.

In a nutshell, one masks off everything that should NOT be etched on the aluminum and attaches a length of wire to the back of the aluminum object with electrical tape; this wire is connected to the positive terminal on a car battery. Then, one attaches another piece of wire to a piece of scrap aluminum; this wire is attached to the negative terminal of the battery. Then, in a glass or plastic dish, both the anode (the piece you want to etch) and the cathode (the scrap aluminum) are placed as far apart as possible and a solution of water with as much salt as can be dissolved is added. The cathode (scrap aluminum) will bubble like mad, and the exposed areas of your good piece will be etched.

It appears that the higher the amperage, the faster the etch. As you can see in the following photos, the "G" in the word "BILGE" is over etched, as my vinyl resist lifted. I had similar problems when I used laser printer toner that was transferred on to aluminum, too; the laser toner was printed to a sheet of glossy magazine paper, then ironed on to the aluminum (one has to print a reverse image of the "artwork" when using this technique) and the paper is removed with running water and gentle rubs with a fingers.

If the amps were scaled back, it appears both the laser printer and vinyl resists would work better. I'm thinking of using an old wall-wart left over from a long-lost cell phone as my next power supply.

Cheers,

Scott

Attachments

• etch 1.JPG
    etch 1.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 472
  • etch 2.JPG
    etch 2.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 472
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 472
  • etch 4.JPG
    etch 4.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 472
This also works on steel or iron parts to remove rust. I used this on ALOT of parts when restoring an old Datsun 510 Wagon a few years ago. Wanna talk about a tin boat! haha

How long did it take to etch that one plate, please?

Thanks, Richg99. This panel etched for about 12 minutes. When I run another test with a lower amp power source, it should take longer, but hopefully the resist will survive the process and I'll end up with a better etching.

Scott

So, a couple if pieces of aluminum, wire, battery, some sort of stick on "stencil", salt water and 15 minutes or so? I'll have to try this, just try it. Thanks for posting. richg99