Evinrude Etec 60 hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I owned the boat and it had a 99 Model Johnson 40/30 on it and traded it to Fred 3 years ago for a new E-Tec 60/40 which had an aluminum impeller in it. The boat originally came from Ellington when new with the Johnson 40/30.

thanks moelkhuntr.
I've been told the mercs turn 5040rpm on the dot. But have heard some room for improvements. If you could ever get by the electronics and the fuel injection system on the etecs I think they have huge potential to be runners. But it's hard to beat a good ol omc.

Lil Blue Rude, I think you are right, the older OMC will scream and when and it will happen, someone will find a way around the electronics with the E-TECs and Mercs and the newer models will start to scream also. There are so many electronics wizards out there that it will happen. It will be interesting to see what can be got out of the newer models.

there is guys taking the etecs and removing all the inj components and installing carbs. But to answer your question...... will anyone work on the 60 etec. NO.... why spend the money improving an engine ( etec) when the proven alternative is already out there. But the mercury being a 4 stroke make it far more appealing. Plus there have already been gains made to mercury. Around 200 r's with more to come.

I've heard story after story about how dealers can re-program the etec
but the flash goes away once you unhook the laptop (or palm tablet)

next you have to have someone wanting or willing to spend the money to get this done. with mercs out numbering 10 maybe even 20-1 there's not near the profit potential from the etecs.

It sounds like the decision is easy. Buy a Merc. Evinrude will obviously be out of business very soon. For me, I am happy with my slow Etec. I also have a Merc and am happy with it also. Buy what you can get easily serviced in your area and fits your budget. They all make great motors and they ALL have some issues as well. To me 1-2 mph extra means nothing, but I can understand that to others that is everything. It just depends on what you are using it for and what you enjoy.

Scott

Service is 90% of it ..... but sometimes 300 extra rpms may mean the difference between planing the boat or not. it's all dependent on what you require out of your boat. Most can get by with either engine and others aren't satisfied. I've seen guys trade new 4choke mercs even up for used 3cyl 2 strk engines because they wouldn't cut the mustard ......

Rockdamage aren't you kinda contradicting yourself there. you say why spend the extra effort on the etec to make it faster but you talk about people will spend the extra $ to get a couple hundred more rpm out of the mercs. :mrgreen: I get what you mean with the extra effort with the etec though because it would be a lot of work. But you know as well as I do how many people around here wanna go fast and are willing to pay to do it.
I'd bet money if I could get a past the fuel injection and electronics on a etec I could build one a merc wouldn't touch 2 or 4 stroke. :mrgreen: :twisted:

Some one has to be willing to spend the money to develop the Evinrude mods. But with so few out there. The odds of this happening is less than slim. Oh yes etec owners would spend the cash. But there won't be any mods available. . Thats my point

I love my etec! it fires up first crank o matter if its 10 degrees or 110 and never lets me down. I know a lot of guys who run Etecs and very few have ever had issues and all but one was covered under warranty. If I strictly joy rode around then the speed may matter more to me but I mainly fish and my boat is heavy with front and back decks, heavy bracing, and a big fuel tank so fishability comes first before speed.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332631#p332631 said:
rockdamage » 21 Oct 2013, 17:25[/url]"]My last boat ....18/56 ss blazer - 34 mph down stream in light moving shallow water. average 31 with two guys full of fuel and a cooler.

Were you running a Merc 60/40 4 stroke on the 1856 ss?

Etecs are great motors generally speaking IF you don't get a lemon. Lots of people love theirs but there are also many people that have popped heads on their ETEC and got a replacement under warranty and the same thing happened. My buddy blew two heads back to back on his ETEC 115 and he was not even out of break in on either and was doing it all right. His third one has been going for three years now.

Latest posts