Evinrude trouble NEED SUGGESTIONS OR ANSWERS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
I went to the lake Sat. and and my motor ran great as usual but then out of no where,it started idling rough and then it would die.
It would run out fine at higher rpms but not at an idle.
Then I go to load it on the trailer and and when I give it throttle to get up on the trailer where I needed it,the throttle stuck wide open.
I brought it home looked at it and the linkage looks ok externally but I figured out you have to push in the linkage with your fingers(working throttle manually) and it won't hang up but it will stick if you don't push it in.
Here's the big question............does the idling and the throttle sticking go together or is this just a coincedence?
This is a 50 horse motor btw and it's a 86 model.
This is the first trouble I have ever had out of this motor but it's fall which means there are fish to catch and I got a broken down boat #-o ....................any ideas? Thanks

I think that the linkage sticking and the idle problems are linked (no pun intended) together. Sounds like you bent something or a spring in weak / missing

you could have a exaust leak under the hood where the power head bolts to the foot . or where the shift rod goes into the foot . remove the hod and see if it helps .it could be the carbs need cleaning . low speed jets clogged .

Well come to find out the two little brass screws that hold the butterflies on the rod are loose.Well....one is GONE,the other one is loose so I need to pull the carbs off and tighten one and install another.
I wonder where the one that came out is? Would the exhaust have blown it out or do you all think it's mangled up in the cylinder wall?
Oh well,atleast I know what the problem is..........right?? #-o

kentuckybassman said:
Well come to find out the two little brass screws that hold the butterflies on the rod are loose.Well....one is GONE,the other one is loose so I need to pull the carbs off and tighten one and install another.
I wonder where the one that came out is? Would the exhaust have blown it out or do you all think it's mangled up in the cylinder wall?
Oh well,atleast I know what the problem is..........right?? #-o

If it's a 2stroke,it could be laying in the bottom of the engine case.If it's a 4 stroke,it could be lodged in the head.Those screws are usually brass and are softer than the engines internals so it will probably be mangled up bad.

Good news folks!!!
I decided to take a stab at fixing my boat myself and it all worked out for the good!!
After taking off the aluminum plate in front of the carbs I heard something make a distinctive sound like .......you guessed it ,a screw!! The one that fell out out never made it through the carb it just lodged itself by that plate so after I took the linkage apart and pulled the carb off everything just fell in place like it's supposed to, so i just saved myself alot of $$$$$$$$$$ and a few headaches so now it's time to get back on the water!!

Like I always say,Where there's a will there's a way!!

Latest posts