What is this boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I predict he comes down to earth and bails on this one. Is that thing really work $10k+ in materials and a several years of a guys life? Hate to be all negative on it, but think if we talk him out if we're actually doing him a favor. I'm all for fixing up old stuff, but you can't start with a total train wreck like this one.

15 years? Heck I've been fixing up old vehicles for 50 years and still find myself tempted by stuff like this. You gotta do the math and none of us are going to live forever.

If she was aluminum, I would say go for it.....but an old glasser where even the fiberglass needs replaced....no way !!
Well it's aluminum so suppose I'll go for it... here's the details I found out. It's a '65 lone star sovereign 19ft. They came as an i/o or outboard. This one was an outboard... this is not a factory i/o. The hull for this thing is interesting... and a true testament to boat building in the 60s... meaning it's probably going to get worse before it's gets better. There's basically two hulls... a fiberglass inside an aluminum... with "foam pac" in between. A quiet, unsinkable boat... probably water logged and full of ant tunnels. The unknown is calling me to explore. If I go back to an outboard or keep it an i/o depends on what I find... the real-estate would be nice to have but the i/o has its perks.

I'm definitely going to explore this boat. If nothing else I'll have it prepped for the next guy. I'll have this thing reliable and on the water for less the a grand. It won't be restored to a show boat but will hold its own at the boat launch and guaranteed to inspire someone or at the very least spark up conversation somewhere.

I'm definitely going to explore this boat. If nothing else I'll have it prepped for the next guy. I'll have this thing reliable and on the water for less the a grand. It won't be restored to a show boat but will hold its own at the boat launch and guaranteed to inspire someone or at the very least spark up conversation somewhere.

That's the spirit. I hope you keep us in the loop.

Maybe... lol. I don't think it much matters though... especially when you don't actually have the money to dump into it that you speak of.
Good luck. I wasn’t just being sarcastic, that came from the heart.
I manage to spend a crap ton of money even on small boat projects.

You know what BOAT stands for? Just Bring On Another Thousand. :)

Good luck. I wasn’t just being sarcastic, that came from the heart.
I manage to spend a crap ton of money even on small boat projects.

You know what BOAT stands for? Just Bring On Another Thousand.
Bring out another tool.

All I'm saying is I enjoy this kind of stuff. This boat is far from a candidate for total restoration but this will definitely help prepare me for when I do come across the right one.

Bring out another tool.

All I'm saying is I enjoy this kind of stuff. This boat is far from a candidate for total restoration but this will definitely help prepare me for when I do come across the right one.
Oh... and don't get me wrong... I value all input, and I understand what people are saying and why. If this were my first project I might walk away... I almost did when I picked it up... but then... I didnt... ha

Sounds like a great idea in an old ad. This may have actually been one of the first composite materials used in a personal boat.

The only catch that I can see is if the foam is saturated with water. How do you fix it?

My thought too. Pulling the inner hull liner would be a big job in my mind. I wonder if the stuff would dry out enough by itself enough to live with.

I say go for it. Throw out the trash, vacuum her out and see what you have.

Personally, I would pull her to the ramp and see how she floats after vacuuming her out. If she sits low in the water, that would be a red flag. If she sits where she should, I would probably skip tearing her up too much. Don't fix what isn't broken, right?

Like others, I hate the fiberglass part, but you never know. She might be solid. The float test would be my first step after basic cleaning.

I hope it goes well!