Fall Run Report 10/3 and 10/4

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmytruck

Reaction score
Took Friday 10/3 off knowing that time is ticking and the fishing may be hit or miss, basically I have been living in my truck for the last two days. Started fishing in MA up north at my first place did not see any bait or birds and the wind was was blowing from the east (weather report stated it was going to blow from the west). Decided to take off and hit my second spot since the wind was just right, got to my spot about two hour of peak of an incoming tide and the wind was howling. There was a nice rip that was forming and the backwash was good enough to keep most of the bait pinned to the jetties. I started tossing bucktails because I could not work the surface two many birds do to all of the guys fishing chunk bait. Manage to get a good strike on a yellow bomber fishing the rip,I saw the striper that nailed it. At this point I had to move and fish the backwash even my heavy bucktails could not get the bottom due to the incoming tide and I got tangled with the chunker's a couple of times.. Right at the peak of the incoming tide nailed a blue fish on a 2 OZ white spro bucktail, see pic. I saw four other blues getting pulled out and one schoolie.
On 10/4 decided to make a long run to race point (trust me I did not spot burn, the beach is over 30 miles long), and again the wind was blowing the wrong way. Decided to dress like I was about to fish in a blizzard. I started to walk and fish up the beach for about two miles, after losing five pounds in sweat decided to go back to the truck for lunch. After lunch I lighted up my gear and headed back out. Saw tons of birds all waiting for blitz that would never come, but the bait was there. I nailed my first blue about 10 minute in the peak of an incoming tide on salty needlefish. Nothing get your blood pumping than seeing a big blue nailing a top water plug. About 30 minutes later nailed my second blue on the same lure. I lost one blue about 10 minutes later on a roberts ranger, saw two more people pulling blues. I did see one seal and a school of striper in the surf, but the stripers did not make an appearance on the end of anyones line that I talk too.
I was going to head to the ditch today but after chasing fishing in my truck for 400 miles I think I am just going to watch some football. Plus I happy with my results for the year, now it is time to chase pike...

thx
x

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 176
Nice - the fall run is just about to start here - the cobb mullet are moving out and we are looking for the herring and bunker (pogies to you) to get pushed in.

I have a few trips planned already - gonna try and bust a 40lber (plus I hope) this year - i have been stuck in the 20-30 range FOREVER!

Way to hang in there---Good job, nice fish--Hope your team does better than mine!!!!
(Eagles-Boo-Hoo!). Oh well, I still have the Phillies.

Zum said:
Man,I wish I had that much ambition.
Way to go.

Confidence is the name of the game, without it would the same as fishing in your bath tub. The last two day have been great but a few times I almost gave up, at one point the wave where crashing over the jetti and it started to ran really hard I almost gave up but I stuck with it and got one that day. On the second day after walking back to my truck exhausted I almost got in my truck and drove to ditch, but mind over matter prevailed. I also noticed when you confident your presentation of your offering improves ten fold. Don't get me wrong I have made major adjustments on how I fish the surf, after reading a couple of books I notice that I was doing a tons of things wrong. One book I highly recommend is "The Art of Surfcasting with Lures" From Zeno Hromin". My next book will be " Fishing with Bucktails by William A Muller". Some good old reading during the winter and waiting for the season to start..

thx
x

Captain Ahab said:
Nice - the fall run is just about to start here - the cobb mullet are moving out and we are looking for the herring and bunker (pogies to you) to get pushed in.

I have a few trips planned already - gonna try and bust a 40lber (plus I hope) this year - i have been stuck in the 20-30 range FOREVER!

They should be there real soon, I have heard from a few friends that Montauk is hot, I started to use charting software to aid in finding suitable fishing locations. Most people think that only boater will benefit from it, but I was able on Sat to find some cuts and trough that would hold fish. But what I did not get was why the needle fish lure was working and nothing would, a guy to my right started to use a popper once I got one and another guy was throwing some tin without any luck. But I think it comes down to presentation because I did see one person nail a blue on a deadly dicks and I got and lost one on a ranger.

thx
x

ps. I also find it funny that bunker as like three names, but it is the most important fish on the east cost. Another good book I plan to read is "The Most Important Fish in the Sea: Menhaden and America "

Latest posts