Found my project boat - 16' Sea Nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Yachtsman

Reaction score
After a few months of looking, I finally found a project boat that I like. Here's what I think I know about her: She is a 16' Sea Nymph "Traveler" with a 60 HP Johnson, a 50# Minn Kota foot controlled trolling motor, and a Sportsman trailer. The Johnson is a model J60ELCD, and if my Internet information is correct that makes it a 1986. The trailer is listed as a 1985 on the title, so I will buy that. The hull is listed as a 1985 on the registration, so again, I will go with that. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but the hull ID ends in "85", so maybe that confirms the year. The hull is welded. It has a nice sized live well, a bilge pump, running lights, etc. I think I got a sweet deal on her at $800. The main problem is that she has been sitting up for awhile. The steering cable seems to be frozen or locked. The outboard is going to require some attention. It does turn over, but won't run. Probably carb re-building. I haven't decided whether I am going to try to tackle it myself, let my automotive mechanic buddy give it a shot, or take it to the local Bass Pro and let them work on it. The rest of what it needs is standard, such as new decking/flooring and carpeting, electrical re-wiring, and seating. But I am looking forward to the project. My plans for her are to simply spruce her up and get her back on the water. I will be changing the bunk layout on the trailer to get rid of the rollers. I did that on my 1436 Alumacraft trailer and really liked the results. The pictures are of the "Fresh from the Yard" variety. The only thing I've done to her since these were taken is clean out the leaves. I appreciate all input or suggestions, especially from owners of similar models. If you spot something in these pictures that I need to be aware of, please point it out to me.
TinBoat020.jpg

TinBoat021.jpg

TinBoat019.jpg

TinBoat011.jpg

TinBoat012.jpg

TinBoat008.jpg

TinBoat028.jpg

TinBoat029.jpg

TinBoat030.jpg

TinBoat034.jpg

TinBoat035.jpg

TinBoat023.jpg

TinBoat037.jpg

TinBoat036.jpg

TinBoat027.jpg

TinBoat032.jpg

Looks more abused by the waether then use.
Nice find,should spruce up nicely.

Your galvanized Sportsman trailer (Steelco) is as good as they come. I learned this summer that the company in Santa Fe, TX, no longer exists.

Can't wait to see this one play out I restored a 1980 Traveler last year. Check out the link in my signature, might give you some ideas.

I've redone my Traveler twice now. It's about to leave to get the motor runnin tuned up and checked out and everything before the season starts. I'll try to take some better picture of it and post them up for ya.

Okay! First "progress" report. It's been tough to find much time to spend on the boat since I bought her. I think I've managed four hours over the past two weeks. My hopes of a quick and easy "spruce up" are looking pretty unrealistic now, too. And I probably could have found an easier part of the project to start with. BUT, aside from all of that, the work I've done on her has been fun. So I picked the floor to start with. I was hoping to pull up the floor in reasonable shape and use it as a template for a new floor. Yeah, not gonna happen. The driver's seat and livewell came out with only minor difficulty. I discovered the plywood under the livewell was very rotted and flaky. So I pulled up as much of that up as I could get out by hand. I drilled out the rivets that hold the console to the hull, unscrewed the dash from the console, and removed the console. My thinking here is that I need to make a nice diagram of the dash wiring before I disconnect the wires or I will never get it back together. The rest of the floor has become a challenge. It's glued very firmly to the foam flotation, and the plywood towards the front of the boat isn't as rotted as the back. So I ended up getting my jigsaw and started cutting out the plywood before it got dark today.

First pic is of the area under the driver's seat where the livewell was.
boat-10.jpg

Livewell out of the boat.
boat-11.jpg

I made it this far pulling the floor out by hand. I disturbed a family of tree frogs and a couple colonies of termites in the process.
boat012211.jpg

It's a big mess right now. Thanks for the words of encouragement and helpful links.

I looks like a great project boat! I'm jealous you have nice enough weather to work on it. Right now it's -9 here, but the sun is out. :D

Critter said:
I looks like a great project boat! I'm jealous you have nice enough weather to work on it. Right now it's -9 here, but the sun is out. :D

Yeah, the weather hasn't been the issue. It's been family and work. I imagine it's hard to get much work done outside at those temps.

Second progress report: I decided to change gears this weekend and re-wire the trailer lights. I am pleased to report that I got that done in just a couple hours. With that finished, I decided to take a crack at removing the decks. The lock nuts that attach the pedestal seats to the aluminum bracket under the decks were a pain, but most of them came off. The few that were really corroded were cut off with my Dremel. I also discovered that the bow appears to have been repaired. Please take a look at that and tell me if it was done properly.
boat0129113.jpg

boat0129114.jpg

boat0129112.jpg

boat0129111.jpg

Nice find, going to be a great project!! Cant wait to see what you do to it!! Its always nice to see how fellow tin boaters turn around those project boats, bring them back to life!! Where are you from?????

Good deal. Galvanized trailer is probably worth that. We have a 2-axle Sportsman under an old '69 20' Seabird cuddy. Good trailer.

I love the look of these style boats. Looks like it's in pretty rough shape, but that will make the finished product that much greater. Is that flat piece of metal? with the bolts on the bow what you were talking about when you said it was repaired? if so it doesn't look much like aluminum and i would do something else if i were you.

Because I am looking to up grade my jon boat and keep looking for a deal which it apears you have found, I must ask. Where did you find it. Craigs list, local newspaper add, or where... I keep looking and did find one I wanted but the guy sold it out from under me.. Oh well I guess it wasn't ment to be mine. I really would be intrested in knowing.
peace
ron

Hi all. Answers to your questions:

Freetofish: I found the boat on Craigslist. I went to look at boats as much as three hours away, but the one I ended up buying was 5 miles away from me. It took me a few months of looking to find the one I wanted. My experience on Craigslist is that you have to move fast or somebody will steal the deal from you. On the other hand, you have to make sure you're not getting scammed. I found a good seller that honored the fact I called first and gave me 24 hours to make a decision before he showed it to other buyers. Your deal will turn up.

Mangelcc: I live in Prairieville, LA, which is about ten miles south of Baton Rouge.

Flat Bottom: I'm not sure if the piece of metal bolted to the bow is aluminum or not. All I really know is that it appears to be a brace to prevent a cracked weld from spreading. How do you recommend that I repair it?

Tomorrow is my day off and I would like to get out and continue tearing down the boat, but the high will be 40 degrees and we have a 90% chance of rain. I think I will stick to an inside project!

well there are a few ways you could do it. You could have a gusset piece welded over the crack essentially doing the same thing the metal flat bar is doing. If possible i would find and drill out the end of the crack (to keep it from cracking worse) and grind out the crack enough to get a good weld in it. Lots of other creative idea's that flat bar looks like regular metal, which will cause corrosion wherever it touches the aluminum over time. You can tell by scratching the surface of the flat bar, aluminum is soft and will scratch easily leaving a bright silverish color (new aluminum color) in the scratch.

Okay guys, how do I get the steering cable disconnected? I've detached the nut on the right side of the motor and the rod on the left side. I sure thought that would do it, but it's still not coming out.
f4b6cbf4.jpg